-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Engine dies immediately when starting

Hi all,

Here's my problem: The car was working fine until this problem occurred - it was sudden. Went to start one day, and it starts right away, then dies the instant that it starts. When I give it gas while starting, I can get it to run for a few seconds, but it is really flaky. If I give it too much gas, it'll backfire sometimes. While giving it gas, the rpm's fluctuate alot, even when I'm holding the gas pedal somewhat steady. It's super hard to keep it at a certain rpm level. I cannot get the car to run ever since a couple of days ago when this problem occurred. The fuel pump does work when I turn the key to the "on" position. Any thoughts?

I'm guessing it could be any one of the following issues, could somebody make a recommendation as to what they think it is or isn't?

throttle position sensor
mass air flow sensor
fuel pump
fuel pump relay
fuel pressure regulator
crankshaft position sensor
ecm

Whatever it is, remember the problem happened suddenly.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
deadring deadring is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

i think you can take out the throttle position sensor, because if i unplug mine on my pa the car will still run ok.

the best thing you can do is go in diagnosis mode and get the codes out.

i hope you have a pre 95 model so you can get out the codes yourself and see whats wrong.

but from what it looks like, i' suspct the crank position sensor... or MAYBE fuel pump.. which would be a rare and a long shot.

but first, get the codes out

Deadring
__________________
89' corolla ...200 000 miles on original engine, tranny,clutch and paint...and no rust... try that with a neon...

00' kawasaki zx-9 with micron exaust and K&N filter ( my baby)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Gocart879 Gocart879 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can pretty much say i think its your fuel pump. get a pressure testing kit and test the fuel pressure. you may hear it running, but something can be wrong internally. i had the same problem exact description. but i didnt hear my fuel pump.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 PM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

One other note is that upon starting (without pushing the gas pedal), it surges right up to 2000 rpm's, then dies right away. Could it be that it's getting too much gas and that's making it go up to 2000 rpm's? I'll try to find a fuel pressure gauge. Tried removing the connectors for the Throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, and IAC valve, and no difference.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
deadring deadring is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

lack of fuel can mak an engine surge at higher rpm

check your fuel pressure
__________________
89' corolla ...200 000 miles on original engine, tranny,clutch and paint...and no rust... try that with a neon...

00' kawasaki zx-9 with micron exaust and K&N filter ( my baby)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

With the engine off, and looking at the throttle position sensor, open the throttle to see if the lever on the TPS is moving with the throttle (opening and closing). I just replaced one today that had a broken spring and would not return to the home position. It caused the car to idle at 2000 rpm and shut off when it stuck wide open.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2005, 10:22 AM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked the TPS; it's moving with the throttle. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Crankshaft position sensor
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pressure regulator
ecm

I'll check the fuel pressure, as that will further narrow it down. I just have to find one at a store. I'll try Napa.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

I assume by now you have checked you codes from the check engine light (PCM). What codes are you getting.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2005, 04:01 PM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

Actually, regarding the diagnostic codes, I have a '94, which is a hybrid OBDI/OBDII system, so the equipment is quite expensive compared to '93< & '96> models. So no, I have not scanned the codes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

It might be cheaper to have a mechanic scan it for you rather than change parts. I know how it feels not to have the right tools to stay pace with new technology, you have to pay one way or the other.
Fortunately I have a scaner that will scan all cars from 1985 to 2002 and above. If you were close by I would be glad to do it for you free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 PM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

HotZ28, what kind of scanner is that, and where did you get it? That sounds pretty nice! Well, I checked the fuel system, and everything was right - 42 psi fuel pressure. So now I'm pretty sure it's either the crankshaft pos. sensor, camshaft pos. sens., ecm, or ignition module. Any other advice would help a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2005, 10:38 AM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

I use Genisys Pathfinder 2004 Deluxe Kit w/ Asian 2003 and ABS/Air Bag 2002 Software - 3484ABS

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...PQQ89RRTNH72A5

You could go buy Auto Zone to have your codes read for free, if you have a store nearby.

My scanner has a cable adapter for the OB11 ADL and you select the 95 model Buick and it knows that it is an OB1 ECM based on the preloaded pathfinder software.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2005, 01:23 PM
kaspr kaspr is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

Wow! that's nice, but expensive. I'm going to replace the crankshaft position sensor today, and I'll let you all know if that fixes it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2005, 02:23 PM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Engine dies immediately when starting

Going back to the bad TPS I had to replace the other day, it would move up with the throttle, but would not return to the home position all the way. That made the ECM think that the throttle was partially open, when in fact the throttle body butterfly was closed. When you have that condition, the ECM thinks it needs more fuel, however it can not get the air it needs.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Opps123 Opps123 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think ive had the same problem....i replaced the camshaft sensor and still the same problem...i replaced the magnet on the gear and it so far is working very welll...the only downside to that is that it is almost 6-8 hours to replace....for a little magnet...
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts