|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade and 16" wheels on a non-Euro Lumina
I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust on my '92 3.1, and trying to find a cat-back pipe of the same shape as the one on there, but 2.25" in diameter. I know I'll have to cut and weld to put it on there. I ordered one online form Dynomax, without being able to see a picture, and hoping that it would fit, but I recieved notification that it wasn't even in stock. So I can't even get my fictional dream-pipe. Anyone ever done this procedure before, maybe know of a brand that makes 2.25" exhaust pipes for '92 Luminas? Any suggestions at all would be helpful.
Last edited by BigMikeyB; 07-09-2005 at 07:27 PM. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
Unless you've got serious mods, you don't want to increase the diameter of your exhaust. You'll loose some low end grunt and throttle response from it.
If you really must, you just gotta find an exhaust shop with a wizard with torch and bender. Not Midas or whatever, but a real undercar shop. I have a guy here at a shop who is a genius with that stuff. They don't even stock any pre-bent parts, he just fabs everything from straight pipe and hardware, welding flanges and stuff on where needed. It's amazing to watch. And way cheaper than using purpose-bent stuff. He'll split a single exhaust and run it out on either side with chamber mufflers for under $200, parts and labor. He can do a stock sytem from cat back for under $100. I can't even get the OE parts with my discount for that kinda money. You need to find one of these guys. They usually are at shops that look like crappy little dives in bad parts of town. Serious.
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
what if i you just install a racing muffler. pretty much a striaght thru type opening.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
Oh, yeah. Cool avatar!
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thanks; it's actually what I want to replace my broken emblem with on my car. Also, thanks for the help. I've got a buddy whose dad's a mechanic; he's helping me through all this stuff. He's the one who found the dynomax pipe to begin with - I hadn't heard of any low-end push loss from what I plan to do, so I'm going to ask him about that, because now I'm concerned. Thanks again to those who have posted, and in advance to those who will post!
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
We got into it somewhat in depth here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...=intake+charge See what you think. It's not quite as noticeable with a V6 that has a fair amount of torque to begin with, but still a factor.
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm planning on dropping in a K&N filter, too. Will that decrease the imbalance in flow?
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
come join me in this chat room to discuss this topic. Here is the address.
http://www.chatzy.com/757899427503 |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Okay, New question:
putting 16" wheels on a non-euro edition Lumina. Possible without the sport suspension package? |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Exhaust - Cat-back pipe upgrade
if the bolts line up, and the rims dont hit the calipers "story there" yes, by all means go for it.
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|