|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, This is so strange. My radiator has a small leak in the tank so I decided to replace the entire radiator. Got one for $120 (modine), and replaced everything. Even disconnected the battery. Now here's the fun part. After hooking everything up, started the car, the Check Engine Light comes on, and the low coolant light comes on. WTF?!?!?? The coolant is filled to the full line in the reservoir and the radiator was filled also. I went to feel the hoses, its seemed that the upper radiator hose was hot/warm and the lower was cool/warm. Do you think its an airpocket? I hope its not he water pump because thats a Pain in the arse to change. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Andrew |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
The possibility exits that there may be a small air pocket around the coolant level sensor. As for the CEL have the computer scanned as there may be something else wrong that could have been brought about when you changed the radiator. Could be a bad connection or something. The code will tell you where to look.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
often times if you trigger a sensor the light will stay on until you reset it. I had that problem with my ABS light after i fixed those.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Thanks guys, tried all of that...
Ok, here's the deal. My dad tried to replace the thermostat and the same thing. I hope to dear god its not the water pump. Thats a pain to do! Same thing today. Tried to run everything hot to see if we can get the pocket of air out and nothing. Upper hose is hot, but the bottom is cool. I'm gonna take a shotgun out and put this car out of its misery. what kind of scan tool should I use for the 1994 Pontiac? thanks Andy |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
An OBD-1 scanning tool, I believe. The coonection port is likely under the dash, usually around the driver's side. It is either a 12-pin or 16-pin port. Only the 12-pin port is the OBD-1, and can be tested without a scanning tool. The 16-pin port MUST have a GM Tech-1 equivalent scanner to read.
Chances are you have the 12-pin. If so, you can test it by yourself with a piece of wire or bent paper clip~~~~~~~~ As follows http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800996ee.jsp |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
And if you look to the right of the link page, there is a small line that you can acces to find out how to clear codes.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
when i had my radiator replaced on my 94 2.3 the low coolant light stayed on even though it was to the full line. to get rid of the light just disconect the attaching bolt on the tank and shake it. The light will eventually go off.
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
To scan the 1994 and up grand am you have to attach the scan tool to the port, its a 16 pin connector, the paperclip does not work. As for the low coolant light, the float is stuck, tap on the side of the tank with a wrench or screwdriver, be careful not to break the tank...
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the help, ski, wasn't too sure about which one port. My g/f has the GT with her, so sadly, I can't run out and look at the real car very often, sigh. But, of course, I get to do ALL the work on it, even though I rarely drive it anymore, lol. Sheesh
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
I think its a 12 port connector. It looks pretty square to me and not ovalish. I'll try it right now and see what happens. Thanks Andrew |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Surf the link I sent, you will be able to tell real quick what port you have.
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Here's whats happening now. I tapped the living hell out of the overflow tank to get the low coolant light from coming on. It didn't work. So my dad filled the radiator and stuff with coolant. Drove around, the low coolant light went out. Cool, but a problem still remains. Upon starting the car, the cooling fan immediately comes on and stays on.. suggestions? |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
sound like the relay is stuck, its on the passenger side on the firewall.
|
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 94 Ga 2.3l.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
ok when my low coolant light would come on in my 92 2.3 it would take days of driving to get the light to go to go away. it would just stay on and bug the hell out of me. pick up some girl and she be like are we gonna break down? cause i can call me a ride if we are. lol. but anyway i would give it awhile before i go tearing into it to change the water pump as long as its not running hot.
|
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
This is what i did: replaced the tank. I found one from a wreck, cleaned it out really good and tipped it upside down to make sure the float moved freely, cost me a whole $5 at the junkyard...
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|