-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-02-2005, 12:46 AM
the_doctor the_doctor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Metal clanking sound coming from tranny-flywheel/plate during startup and shutdown.

I have a 1989 Buick LeSabre with a loud terrible clanking sound coming from the where the starter meets the flywheel. The sound has been isolated to this exact point. The sound only occurs when the car is cranked and first starts. Clank clank clatter clatter . . . After the car starts the clanking quiets down to a faint clank here and there and then disappears entirely. Finally, when the car is turned off I get a couple clanks.
Other than this the car is perfect. The engine and transmission work like new. The car has approx. 191,000 miles on it.
I found someone on the Park Avenue forum with the same clanking noise. He was able to fix it by tightening up some loose bolts that connect the FlexPlate to the Torque Converter. However, he had a 1979 RWD Park Ave. I’m wondering if I can fix my problem the same way. Can I access these bolts on my car?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2005, 05:23 PM
sharo23 sharo23 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sharo23 Send a message via Yahoo to sharo23
it not a bad idea to ck the best way to axcess the converter bolts
disconeckt the batt cables remove the starter moter and bolts are
right there 3 in all have to rotate cranckshaft to get all 3.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2005, 05:23 PM
the_doctor the_doctor is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I was able to check all three bolts with a wrench without removing the starter. However, I would have needed to remove the starter if I used a socket and torque wrench. Unfortunately all the bolts were tight. I really thought I had this problem solved. One thing I noticed is that my flywheel inspection cover (sometimes called torque converter access cover) is missing. It's been missing for at least 6 years. I've always thought it was strange that the flywheel gear was exposed to the elements. Could this have something to do with my clanking sound?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts