-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Nayr747's Avatar
Nayr747 Nayr747 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few oil questions

Is there any way to check if the oil in my engine is synthetic? I didn't ask the guy I bought it from what he was using which was really dumb. But when I bought it, my friend took it to a shop down if California and got the oil changed and I have no real way to find out what oil they used, not even if it was 10w-30 or anything.

Also, reading the owners manual and it says to change the filter every year or 10,000 miles. Is everyone changing it sooner just to be careful or to try to prevent the cw?
__________________


'99 GSX, 5-speed, 60k miles: Greddy filter / RRE uicp / 1g bov / Autometer boost gauge / Injen-copy intake / Megan DP (not installed)

Coming soon! Thx to Blackcrow & nova1313! http://dsm-one.org/
Adopt pets in need! http://www.petfinder.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
drewh4386's Avatar
drewh4386 drewh4386 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to drewh4386 Send a message via MSN to drewh4386 Send a message via Yahoo to drewh4386
Re: Few oil questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr747
my friend took it to a shop down if California and got the oil changed and I have no real way to find out what oil they used, not even if it was 10w-30 or anything.
See if you can ask the shop or him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr747
Also, reading the owners manual and it says to change the filter every year or 10,000 miles. Is everyone changing it sooner just to be careful or to try to prevent the cw?
FIlter every 10,000 miles!! No, every oil change is best. Good oil in your car will help prevent thrust bearing failure.
__________________

....It has been a LONG time...I want to move to FL or Japan.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 AM
V T E C H's Avatar
V T E C H V T E C H is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 467
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Few oil questions

just dump the oil and put whatever you want in there.
__________________
95 Integra GSR, I/h/e, 15" TSW wheels, short shift, front & rear swaybar, lowered 2", 93 GSR head & intake manifold

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Nayr747's Avatar
Nayr747 Nayr747 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Few oil questions

So if they used regular and I pour in synthetic, it's not gonna react badly? I read that mixing synthetic and non is bad. I'm guessing it's non synthetic though because it was only changed around 2,000 miles ago and it looks pretty dark already. I dont know if shops know to put synthetic in these cars, do they?
__________________


'99 GSX, 5-speed, 60k miles: Greddy filter / RRE uicp / 1g bov / Autometer boost gauge / Injen-copy intake / Megan DP (not installed)

Coming soon! Thx to Blackcrow & nova1313! http://dsm-one.org/
Adopt pets in need! http://www.petfinder.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Nstyle29's Avatar
Nstyle29 Nstyle29 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Nstyle29 Send a message via MSN to Nstyle29
Re: Few oil questions

After you drain it it shouldn't react, at least mine didn't and now i have been using mobil 1 that 15000 mile stuff and new filter. I am still gonna change my oil and filter around 3-4000 miles though.
__________________


Check out my 95 GS-T --> http://www.cardomain.com/id/nstyle29
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2005, 10:57 PM
l_eclipse_l's Avatar
l_eclipse_l l_eclipse_l is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I been using the Mobil 5w30 5,000 mile oil thats like $1.70 a quart and a Pure1 oil filter. I replace the filter with the oil, every 5,000 miles. Seems to be just fine.
__________________
'92 3000gt SL

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
silver98GST silver98GST is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nayr747, if you're that worried if the oil in your car is not synthetic then just drain it and put synthetic oil in it. Changing oil is an easy task and doesn't take much time.
__________________
1998 Eclipse GST AT
Mods: FP intake pipe, K&N filter, MBC, Glowshift pillar pod w/ tinted gauges (boost, A/F, oil temp gauges), Blitz DTT DC2 turbo timer, Greddy Type S BOV, Apexi N1 exhaust, Megan downpipe, Dejontool blow thru UICP, GM MAFT, Denso 660cc injectors, ARP headstuds, 3000gt sl big brake upgrade, Eprom ecu, DSMlink V2, etc.
Come visit my cardomain page!

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2005, 11:55 PM
drewh4386's Avatar
drewh4386 drewh4386 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to drewh4386 Send a message via MSN to drewh4386 Send a message via Yahoo to drewh4386
Re: Few oil questions

45 minutes at most.
__________________

....It has been a LONG time...I want to move to FL or Japan.....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 AM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Re: Few oil questions

when i switched from non-synthetic to synthetic my motor started acting all fucked up. it would hardly run. i switched back to normal with some lucas oil stabilizer and it ran like a champ.....until the lucas became to thick and burnt up my head.

moral of the story: don't switch unless you want headaches. nothing wrong with the oil that's in it.
__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Nayr747's Avatar
Nayr747 Nayr747 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Few oil questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver98GST
Nayr747, if you're that worried if the oil in your car is not synthetic then just drain it and put synthetic oil in it. Changing oil is an easy task and doesn't take much time.
Yeah I know. I'm not worried about changing it. I was just asking if there was some way to find out what was used before because I've heard that you shouldn't mix the two or switch from regular to sythetic so it would be helpful to know what was in it before, you know. I'm pretty sure mitsubishi says to use synthetic in the turbo'd cars but I could be wrong. That's why i'm trying to use it.
__________________


'99 GSX, 5-speed, 60k miles: Greddy filter / RRE uicp / 1g bov / Autometer boost gauge / Injen-copy intake / Megan DP (not installed)

Coming soon! Thx to Blackcrow & nova1313! http://dsm-one.org/
Adopt pets in need! http://www.petfinder.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2005, 07:30 AM
spyderturbo007's Avatar
spyderturbo007 spyderturbo007 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Few oil questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr747
I'm pretty sure mitsubishi says to use synthetic in the turbo'd cars but I could be wrong.

You are correct.
__________________


1997 Spyder GS-T
5-Speed
EVO III 16g, DSMLink, Walboro 190 lph Fuel Pump, FIC 650cc injectors, CoolingMist 150psi Methanol Injection, Greddy EVO 2 Cat Back, 2.5" Extreme DP, 2.5" Extreme Hi-Flow Cat, Injen intake, HyperDrive C1 Street Disk & PP, HyperDrive Lightweight Flywheel, 1g BOV, RRE UICP, Home Depot MBC, AEM UEGO WBO2, Brembo Slotted rotors, Akebono Ceramic Pads
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Gsx_hooptie Gsx_hooptie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 623
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that this is real scientific, but some people say that synthetic smells different. I've only used two different kinds of oil, personally; I use Castrol non-synthetic 10-30 on my Ford, and Mobil 1 synthetic 10-30 on the Eclipse. The synthetic stuff really smells more plastic-y and acrid. But, again, I only have experience with two kinds of oil, so take it for what it's worth.

Change your filter every time, that's as or more important than the oil you're running. Some report that running synthetic oil on an engine that has run non-synthetic for several thosand miles can cause oil leaks. I'd run synthetic anyway, your call.
__________________
I used to own a DSM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon.
Capitalization is the difference between, "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse," and, "Helping your uncle jack off a horse." The comma is the difference between, "Eats shoots and leaves," and "Eats, shoots, and leaves."
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts