-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
SD F1's Avatar
SD F1 SD F1 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 82
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Greetings

Hello,
Newbie here, just found your site and thought I would post. On March 9th I was flying out of Gattwick and while having a pint, I met Alain De Cadanet and Gordan Murray on their way to Niece. Good people and once I figure out how to get the photos off my picture phone, I will post them. Someone previously posted a question as to the location of the record setting prototype. Gordon has it. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
rr_ww's Avatar
rr_ww rr_ww is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well K8 MCL (XP5) currently resides in Woking. Its on display at the MTC by the production line for the SLR. Next to XP1 LM and the Gulf/Davidoff car from the 97 Le Mans
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
Peloton25 Peloton25 is offline
McLaren Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,632
Thanks: 714
Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
He's talking about the original record setting McLaren prototype, which was 'XP3'. It set an unofficial speed record of 231mph around the Nardo circuit. XP5's record came later, was 9mph faster and was done with proper timing equipment making it an official record.

We actually had already gotten confirmation that Gordon was in possession of that F1. I was given the info from one source, and another member of the forum exchanged some emails with Gordon's son who shared the same infomration. Here's a shot of him inside XP3 actually - (ignore the date stamp - it's a recent photo):



Sounds like you had an interesting chance encounter, and I look forward to hearing the rest of the story.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
SD F1's Avatar
SD F1 SD F1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
Thanks: 82
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_ww
Well K8 MCL (XP5) currently resides in Woking. Its on display at the MTC by the production line for the SLR. Next to XP1 LM and the Gulf/Davidoff car from the 97 Le Mans

Great, just great! I spend 4 days in London and miss going to Woking to see one in person. IF ONLY I'd HAVE KNOWN!!!!!! We drove through there enough. I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH! Oh Well, It was a pleasure enough meeting Alain, Gordon and his wife. (Sorry but I completely forgot her name, great lady and all but you understand I hope. Besides I could see in her eyes the "oh my god another friggen car fan" LOL!). The conversation wasn't completely about the cars however, as I really didn't want the guy to think I was some star struck lunatic (even though I was). Very tall and gracious man where as Alain is a little shorter but just as grand. Alain and I spoke about the 2004 Goodwood festival of Speed where mass carnage took place in a classic race. He said he was very lucky that he didn't rear-end the car in front of him during the start.(which would have destroyed the car he was driving, one of his friends Ferrari's, a P-3 I think.). So I asked Alain, "if you were here for a short time and you wanted to see a McLaren, where would you go?" He laughed and said well, the guy I am flying out of here today with has one, actually he built them...and before he could get the words out, I said Gordon is here? Much laughter. Alain said to me just before Gordon arrived,and I quote "If they ever start paying me like they should (referring to his TV work) I will definately find and buy one. There will never ever be another (McLaren). Absolutely the best machine." Well I think that says it all!

All the best
Wayne
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
Peloton25 Peloton25 is offline
McLaren Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,632
Thanks: 714
Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD F1
Great, just great! I spend 4 days in London and miss going to Woking to see one in person. IF ONLY I'd HAVE KNOWN!!!!!! We drove through there enough. I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH!
Don't feel too bad - the display he refers to is not yet open to the public and at the moment there is no published timeline for that to happen either. Only a select few photos have come out of the McLaren Technology Center of those cars. Here's a few shots of them that have not been posted here yet:







It sounds like you were quite fortunate to bump into those two. Thanks for sharing the story.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Styledoesntscream Styledoesntscream is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drooooooooooooooooolllll
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:12 AM
rr_ww's Avatar
rr_ww rr_ww is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mistake about XP5. Sorry.

Excellent photos by the way. Anymore?


You say you can't visit McLarens Technology Centre. But I read this on another site

http://www.grandprixgames.org/forum5/read.php?5,339825

Scroll down to the second post by "Pooky" If you do a search it seems he/she works for McLaren. I cant believe the Security team at the MTC would allow people to just go wandering up to the building! Think of the Formula 1 secrets that they dont want Ferrari, Williams etc to see!!! I bet theres CCTV and motion detectors and fences!

Back on the topic of the F1 road car. Does anybody know about how Mercedes Benz feel about the F1 being on display there. As it has a BMW engine in it.

In fact on that note. All the photos Ive ever seen of the F1 have been at the "Genesis" warehouse (The one with the F1 car hanging up). And I recall reading an interview with Ron Dennis saying the point of the MTC was to get all the company under one roof. Do they service the F1s at MTC?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
Peloton25 Peloton25 is offline
McLaren Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,632
Thanks: 714
Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_ww
Excellent photos by the way. Anymore?
So far, there are not anymore shots of that pair, but there was one additional photo of XP5 which was parked to the right of XP1 LM - I can put that up later.

Quote:
Back on the topic of the F1 road car. Does anybody know about how Mercedes Benz feel about the F1 being on display there. As it has a BMW engine in it.
I think they must regard it simply as a piece of McLaren History - several of the old CanAm cars had big American V8 engines. Their old Formula 1 cars have Honda power. Sure the rivalry is there with BMW and Mercedes Benz, but I don't believe that Mercedes would have considered the SLR project with McLaren had the F1 not proven they could build a road car. There's no reason to hide it from my viewpoint.

Quote:
In fact on that note. All the photos Ive ever seen of the F1 have been at the "Genesis" warehouse (The one with the F1 car hanging up). And I recall reading an interview with Ron Dennis saying the point of the MTC was to get all the company under one roof. Do they service the F1s at MTC?
I do believe that McLaren Customer Care for the F1 has been moved from the old facility to the new MTC. I can try to find out for sure later today if no one else is positive.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
mini magic mini magic is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,465
Thanks: 29
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25
I do believe that McLaren Customer Care for the F1 has been moved from the old facility to the new MTC. I can try to find out for sure later today if no one else is positive.
IIRC, it was still at Genesis last summer. I may be mistaken however
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Mr. Bernoulli Mr. Bernoulli is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini magic
IIRC, it was still at Genesis last summer. I may be mistaken however
That's not entirely correct.

Close as makes no difference though...

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
mini magic mini magic is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,465
Thanks: 29
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bernoulli
That's not entirely correct.

Close as makes no difference though...


I remember that they only have a small facility left and most of the other stuff has been sold off. Closer?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
McLaren F1 Guy's Avatar
McLaren F1 Guy McLaren F1 Guy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to McLaren F1 Guy
Re: Greetings

Ohhh you are so lucky, an encounter with the genius himself! And Alain is a legendary car nut too. The two together must know everything about the car universe.

BTW: Gorgeous pics Erik, the last LM shot is beautiful. I swear, you can not possibly take a bad photo of that car from any angle.
__________________

There's no power greater than / / / M
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
Peloton25 Peloton25 is offline
McLaren Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,632
Thanks: 714
Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Re: Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren F1 Guy
BTW: Gorgeous pics Erik, the last LM shot is beautiful. I swear, you can not possibly take a bad photo of that car from any angle.
Thanks - I wish I had been the one to have taken them and I know that wasn't what you were implying, but I thought I'd mention it.

They are a little soft, having been enlarged from 640x480 originals, but I think they still look good. The XP5 shot is slightly blurred, so I probably won't enlarge that one.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > McLaren > F1


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts