|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Bare Metal Foil Substitute
so i just won a 1/12 57' BelAir on ebay and was wonder if there was a substitue for bare metal foil. i guess i could make of the chrome parts and spray them but is there another way i would get the same BMF look?
__________________
"You can go far with a smile, but you can go farther with a smile and a flamethrower" Keep it Wingless.....
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Alcad2?
__________________
~Josh~ OldUser:IImportSupra Do You Have a Car that Goez Sideways?
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Buy some silver leaf (not the paint).
__________________
![]()
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Can't get BMF, or don't like it?
Microscale makes foil adhesive- brush it on the back of aluminum foil, and use as BMF.
__________________
PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Good old chrome tape from home depot!
its what i use, works liek a charm
__________________
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Quote:
__________________
1972 Datsun 240z, 45k, l28 1990 Nissan 240sx, 96k ka24eT 1994 Nissan Altima 1997 Nissan 240sx SE |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Some chocolate bar wrappers are nice and shiny and really thin (if they have paper backing on the foil, then they're no good). Use microscale foil adhesive and put it on like normal bmf. Try a "Crunch" brand bar...
Murray |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
just started using BMF and I got to say that I love it!!!
![]() It's really easy to use and gives a great finished effect. Wouldn't use it for heat shields or similar but for chrome on window surrounds etc it was great. I also used the little left over bits to cover up little black spots where chrome parts were cut off sprue. For larger parts I would use alclad2 my $0.02 |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
Bare Metal Foil have no real substitute if you want to make windows trim (beside Alclad paint, but it's harder)
If you need to cover other thing that don't need high precision, then foil does a good job (like firewall and engine bay) Even chocolate paper like Murray said is working great. I used that on my GT-One for the firewall.
__________________
![]() CarsModeling.com. My Scale Model Cars blog. |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
well i need something that NEEDS high percision beacuse its gonna be the chrome trim on the side panels of a 57 Chevy, so is BMF even the route i want to go?
__________________
"You can go far with a smile, but you can go farther with a smile and a flamethrower" Keep it Wingless.....
|
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
yes, and it's the only route (unless you want to deal with Alclad with masking and airbrush)
btw a sheet of BMF will last you over a year. not that expensive.
__________________
![]() CarsModeling.com. My Scale Model Cars blog. |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Don't know that it's the only way to to it, but it is definately the way I would do it. Isn't it a '57 Chevy that's actually on the package of BMF? If memory serves (and I'll be honest, I can only barely identify American cars of that era), isn't there kind of a two tone effect to the chrome side panels? BMF makes gloss and matte finishes for doing exactly that.
And while I'm still extoling the virtues of this wonderful product, let me say this also: Accept no substitutes!!! I've used several other brands of self adhesive foil before I found a shop that carried BMF, and they were all crap- I wouldn't use anything else now.
__________________
PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Bare Metal Foil Substitute
I kinda mis-read your original question.
If you have access to BMF, then use it. It's well worth it. Murray |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Ive used aluminium tape. It has better glue on it. Not that shiny though.
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|