-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 PM
madeinalaska's Avatar
madeinalaska madeinalaska is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ways to Increase MPG

I was wondering if anyone had any good ways to increase MPG. I'm afraid these rising gas prices arejust a little much on my pocketbook and the last thing I want to do is get rid of my 'Hoe.
I put Dual Exhuast on it and a K&N Air filter, but due to long working hours and lack of facilities to tool around with it, I usually just bite the bullet. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.
__________________
J.B.L. Montgomery III
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2005, 02:09 PM
andjh123 andjh123 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to andjh123
You could also try getting a "power programmer" or whatever those things are called these days (i.e. Hypertech or smiliar). Unfortunately, even with this and the other modifications you mentioned, you're never going to see an increase more than a few mpg's, and that's a best case scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM
gremlin96 gremlin96 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
get a motorcycle. that way you can drive it all summer and save gas. only use the truck when its raining.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2005, 08:53 AM
tyrant33 tyrant33 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ways to Increase MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin96
get a motorcycle. that way you can drive it all summer and save gas. only use the truck when its raining.
I second that notion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Franko914's Avatar
Franko914 Franko914 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ways to Increase MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinalaska
I was wondering if anyone had any good ways to increase MPG. I'm afraid these rising gas prices arejust a little much on my pocketbook and the last thing I want to do is get rid of my 'Hoe.
I put Dual Exhuast on it and a K&N Air filter, but due to long working hours and lack of facilities to tool around with it, I usually just bite the bullet. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.
If you do more highway driving:

1. Install higher profile tires (don't forget to adjust speedometer)
2. Install tires with less aggressive tread and those that require higher inflation pressures
3. Replace mechanical clutch fan with thermostat controlled electric fan(s)
4. Replace accessory pulleys with larger diameter ones
5. Remove accessories that increase air friction: window vent shades, external windshield shades, vanes that direct air to rear windshield to keep it clean, etc. (replace large external rear view mirrors with lower profile/aerodynamic ones)
6. Schedule your trips so that you always travel with a tail wind.
__________________
US Supreme Court Upholds the First Gun Law: The Second Amendment
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts