-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
jlscsjs jlscsjs is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gas smell

I have a 95 Sable and at times it smells like raw gas inside the passenger compartment. I've had it on the lift, spent hours looking for a leak and nothing. There are times it doesn't smell then all of a sudden it smells llike gas is leaking arouynd the engine and the fumes come into the car. I've let it run and checked all hoses, fittings and I can not see anything. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have an idea what could be causing it? Its a 6cyl with feul injection if that helps any. thanks for any input anyone can give me, my wife is afraid its going to blow up!! oh yeah, I also was told it was buring rich due to the exhaust pipe being dark?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
cougarman cougarman is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't tell you where the smell is coming from, perhaps the fuel vapour cannister, perhaps the fuel pump is sweating at a return line above the tank. I am not aware of any common fuel leaks on these. Also check to be sure the pcv valve is properly installed.

For the tailpipe being black inside, they usually are.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
dovecs dovecs is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dovecs Send a message via Yahoo to dovecs
RE: Gas Smell

Hi there,

I had the EXACT same problem with my 88 Sable, after taking it to a shop, they said they couldn't find any leak, but I knew what I was smelling inside the car, especially with the AC on, could also smell fuel under the hood. Anyway, I traced the lines coming from the charcoal canister, there was a (rigid plastic) line coming from it that ran underneath the radiator, and was routed along the edge of the passenger side fender, it was broken in an area right underneath the alternator, luckily I could see the break. I put a short piece of 1/8" tubing over both ends of the break, and *BAM*, problem solved! BTW, this was after I replaced the injector seals (thinking they were leaking).
Hope this helps, good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 AM
KimMG KimMG is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: gas smell

When checking for the source of the fumes, did you use a gas analyzer (smog machine in manual mode)? Be aware that hoses can deteriorate from the inside and may not show signs of cracking on the outside.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:54 AM
acme52 acme52 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gas smell

I have a 2000 Sable and just recently began smelling (faintly) gas when I start the car. It does not occur everytime and only last a few seconds. I do not smell it while driving. I have checked under the hood but find no leaks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM
65comet's Avatar
65comet 65comet is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 72 Posts
Re: gas smell

acme52, you might have a cylinder not sparking and you smell the gas going out the exhaust? Sometimes when a sparkplug wire starts to go bad with a break inside it, as it warms up, the wire makes contact again, allowing the plug to start sparking. Start your car and try to find the source of the gas smell. Near the engine, near the fuel filter/gas tank (passenger side under the car just in front of the rear wheel), the fuel filler inlet or out the exhaust. A general location will help with diagnosis.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Sable


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts