-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
bhoward86 bhoward86 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
91 Ford Probe dies when accelerating to fast.

Yeah I had this problem about 3 weeks ago on my 91 Ford Probe where if I accelerated too fast the car would shut off. So I brought it to a shop and had my spark plug wires replaces and an ignition rotor replaced and a distributor cap replaced as well because "they were fried" or over heated. So could this be the same problem or can it be something else? Any help would be good.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
bhoward86 bhoward86 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 91 Ford Probe dies when accelerating to fast.

I went to see if I could fix the problem, so I was lookin around and I thought I'd check my coolant tub just to make sure cause I flushed it out 2 days before. So that was empty, so I filled that and I was running the car for 10 min and when it was time 2 shut off I noticed some smoke towards the back of the engine. I turned off the engine and looked around where the Spark plug wires are. and when I touched them they were extremely hot! So I think the problem I had a month is happening again, where my spark plug wires are gettin overheated. But it only seemed to be the back of the engine. Could this be related to the thermostat?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2005, 06:56 AM
blindfoldedhope blindfoldedhope is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to blindfoldedhope
Re: Re: 91 Ford Probe dies when accelerating to fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoward86
I went to see if I could fix the problem, so I was lookin around and I thought I'd check my coolant tub just to make sure cause I flushed it out 2 days before. So that was empty, so I filled that and I was running the car for 10 min and when it was time 2 shut off I noticed some smoke towards the back of the engine. I turned off the engine and looked around where the Spark plug wires are. and when I touched them they were extremely hot! So I think the problem I had a month is happening again, where my spark plug wires are gettin overheated. But it only seemed to be the back of the engine. Could this be related to the thermostat?
I wouldnt think so but its like a $10 part for your thermostat.... replace it anyway.... check where your wires are resting are they touching your exhaust manifold? or headers?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
bhoward86 bhoward86 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 91 Ford Probe dies when accelerating to fast.

Yeah the back spark plug wires are hitting against the silver thing that goes around them. Even if the spark plug weren't burning the engine is still overheating.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts