-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 PM
tat2dbaldguy tat2dbaldguy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 4x4 vacuum modulator????

if I excellerate fast enough to drop down a gear <passing gear and so on > as soon as I try to stop.<stop sign ,red light ,ect> I seem to have no vacuum. Brakes are hard and truck wants to die,resembling trying to stop a stick shift without using the clutch,but it does not completely die if I keep the r.p.m.s up.I get the jeep stopped and shut it off.a few seconds later I hear a pop under the hood.Poof all is fixed,till it does it again.someone at murry's says it could be a vacuum modulator for the 4 wheel drive.does anyone else possibly know what this might be?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2005, 09:56 PM
gtmud gtmud is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 910
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4x4 vacuum modulator????

What year jeep? The "pop" sound you hear could be from the timing being advanced too far. As far as your vacuum problem, double check all your hoses, especially the one to the brake booster. Actually, if it runns good during normal driving, then I would look into maybe a new booster, the "pop" could be the booster releasing inside after the vac. pressure is releived.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 AM
tat2dbaldguy tat2dbaldguy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4x4 vacuum modulator????

it is an 88 with 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2005, 12:46 PM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Re: 4x4 vacuum modulator????

Yes, the problem IS in your brake booster. The booster is designed to hold vacuum,(using a one-way valve) enough for one or two pedal applications with the engine turned off. This is a government required safety feature and has been present in all vacuum boosters since the 1960's.
In your case, this one-way valve is not working. The booster only has vacuum when it is being generalted by the intake manifold. When you open the throttle, the intake manifold vacuum goes to zero. In your case, the vacuum in the booster is lost so you get hard brakes.
Just change the brake booster and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:14 PM
tat2dbaldguy tat2dbaldguy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4x4 vacuum modulator????

I replaced the check valve going into the brake booster.it seems to have worked but I have thought I had it fixed before.If nothing else my brakes seem more responsive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2005, 05:34 PM
tat2dbaldguy tat2dbaldguy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 4x4 vacuum modulator????

died on me again this morning,only this time no more "pop"
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts