-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Bruski Bruski is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where's the oil filter ?

Must have spent 20 minutes looking for the oil filter. Can someone clue me in on where it is ? I have a '95 Blazer. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

there is a front door just behind the front bumper with a door you can swing down to get access to the filter on the remote oil filter assemby.

Also, just as a side note, don't use fram.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
blazee's Avatar
blazee blazee is offline
Problem?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 63
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Re: where's the oil filter ?

just want to add....don't use penzoil or quaker state filters, they are made by fram too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 PM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

The new quaker state with the white can and the green writing are made by purolator.

The green with the black writing are made by Fram.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2005, 09:39 PM
chcknugget's Avatar
chcknugget chcknugget is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chcknugget
Re: Re: where's the oil filter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
The new quaker state with the white can and the green writing are made by purolator.

The green with the black writing are made by Fram.
Purolator and FRAM are owned by the same company, I don't know if they have different filter qualities, but I would just get a better filter (unless you're running the extended guard).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 PM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

No they are not.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2005, 11:47 PM
chcknugget's Avatar
chcknugget chcknugget is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chcknugget
Re: Re: where's the oil filter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
No they are not.
When I interviewed with Honeywell Consumer Products (owner of FRAM, Purolator, Autolite, and some Canadian brand that I can't remember) the engineer I spoke with said they are starting to put oil additive in thier extended guard filters to help "higher milage" engines. I'd be careful of what you get...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

The Extnded Guard?

It is a synthetic medium filter. I never heard of this.

Got any proof of this?
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:23 AM
blazee's Avatar
blazee blazee is offline
Problem?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 63
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Re: where's the oil filter ?

I just checked it out on their website:

Check out: FRAM X2™ filter.

It doesn't say anything about an additive in the filter. It does say that there is teflon on the exterior gasket.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:27 AM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

Yea, was just there to, the teflon on the outer gasket is for easier removal and never gets into the engine.

The only Fram with Teflon additive is the Double Guard and should be avoided at all costs.

It will create acid in your engine through teflon reacting with combustion by-products.

AKA, not good.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:33 AM
chcknugget's Avatar
chcknugget chcknugget is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chcknugget
Re: Re: where's the oil filter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
The Extnded Guard?

It is a synthetic medium filter. I never heard of this.

Got any proof of this?
I'll send out an email but I probably wont get a response until Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:35 AM
blazee's Avatar
blazee blazee is offline
Problem?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 63
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Re: where's the oil filter ?

Yeah, Dupont even says teflon shouldn't be used in automotive applications. Just another way for FRAM to screw people.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:43 AM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: where's the oil filter ?

The only Fram filter to use is the Extended Guard.

I use them on both of my vehicles and I love them.

No cold start knock or anything even at -30f.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 AM
blazee's Avatar
blazee blazee is offline
Problem?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 63
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Re: where's the oil filter ?

I used to use them on my SS. The first one I used was supposed to be an extended guard, but it was actually a tough guard. Some one at walmart had switched them so they could save $5. I didn't even know it until I changed my oil and saw they were different colors. So make sure the can is still sealed when you buy them.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts