-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 PM
ajporter03 ajporter03 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clicking valves?

I just bought a 1993 xj 4.0 auto with 122,000 on the clock. I changed the oil a couple of days ago and I put in Valvoine 's "Max Life" The stuff for motors over 75,000 miles. I now get this clicking noise near the top of the motor. It sounds to me like one of the valves. But it comes and goes. It starts out quite and gets progressivly louder, and then it will just quit and sound normal for a few minutes. Then it comes back. Any Ideas? Also, when I changed the oil, the dipstick showed that I was half way into the hash marks. Now I am almost to the add line and I have only driven 100 miles. Before I changed the oil, it was pretty low. But I don't burn any oil. No blue smoke. But aside from all of this, the motor runs great and strong. If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2005, 07:25 AM
gtmud gtmud is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 910
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: clicking valves?

You might have a lifter that is acting up causing your "clicking" sound. At 122K the engine is just broke in, seen on this forum 4.0's at 300K+.
Do you have any noticable oil leaks, is there any oil in the air box? The rear mains have been known to go out at 100K.
What grade of oil did you put in the engine. With that kind of milage, I would suggest running at least 10w30. Also try Lucas Oil Stabilizer, just like SLICK 50 basically, on your next oil change.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 AM
ajporter03 ajporter03 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used 10w30 when I changed the oil. And I also just changed the air filter. I didn't notice a bunch of oil in there. I have noticed that there are some wet spots on the motor near the back of it. But I haven't noticed a bunch of oil puddled up on the ground. I would think that if it were leaking pretty badly, I would have a little bit of an oil spot forming on the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2005, 01:50 PM
lee_dupras lee_dupras is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own a '93 4.0L with 221000Km. I occasionally get the sticking valve as well. I try to keep my oil level right to the top of the full indicator on the dipstick. You can try adding half a litre of ATF into your oil. As far as leaking goes, I recently replaced the valve cover gasket as mine was leaking. It stopped all of the leaking I had around my engine and it is an easy job to do. My enigine doesn't leak but it does burn a little bit of oil.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts