-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Mercski Mercski is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
98 Accord Electrical Failure while drive

My wife has a 98 Accord XL 4 cyl.

When she is driving, the electrical system will just shut down, car
dies. The only thing that continues to work is the lights and radio.

Usually after a few minutes, it will start back up again. It was very far between episodes at the beginning, now the frequency is growing rapidly.

I have cleaned battery terminals and tightened cables.... not sure what to check next? Replace battery? Alternator? Ignition Switch?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
superbluecivicsi superbluecivicsi is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 Accord Electrical Failure while drive

if your lights and radio still work, then you can rule out the battery and alternator.

when was the last time you did the basic cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wire replacement. have you even gave them a look yet? they are part of your basic maintenence. while your replacing the cap and rotor, give the coil a look too.
__________________
99 [email protected] psi si- I voted for the Terminator for Gov.
95 HB- B16a2- SC34@12psi
WTB: USDM B16a2 or B16a3 complete short block. pm is the key.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Mercski Mercski is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I changed the plugs and wires about 3 or 4 months ago.

I was doing some research on the web last night and I am convinced
it is the ignition switch. Further research showed there is a recall on the ignition switch for this vehicle.

I know.....I know..... give me a break....we just got married last
May, so I had no clue she had received the notice and never took it in...
agggghhhh.

I have an appointment for the dealer to replace it tommorrow... will let you know if that solves the problem.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Mercski Mercski is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 Accord Electrical Failure while drive

It was the ignition switch......runs great now!
thanks.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts