-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escort
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-23-2005, 02:20 PM
chevyn0va1's Avatar
chevyn0va1 chevyn0va1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 648
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chevyn0va1 Send a message via Yahoo to chevyn0va1
is there a way to load test a battery?

I have a ford 460ci truck ( I know not escort) I have tried to start it yesterday 18 degrees out and the first crank it fires then stalls out(normal) but when you go to crank it again it trys but the battery is drained. If I put a charger on it and wait it will start. Also if I restart it like after going to the store its fine. untill it sits for a couple hours.

When I put a volt tester its still reading +12v I think it has a dead cell but the battery is only about 1.5 yrs old (although stamped dec 2000)
__________________
1999 Escort SE 2.0 ltr sohc, 5 speed - old one
1999 Escort SE 2.0 ltr sohc, auto - new one
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan sport 3.3, auto

located in beautiful New England.

"You know failure isn't failure If a lesson from it's learned-I guess love would not be love Without a risk of being burned" ~ Garth Brooks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
A. Souphound A. Souphound is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: is there a way to load test a battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyn0va1
I have a ford 460ci truck ( I know not escort) I have tried to start it yesterday 18 degrees out and the first crank it fires then stalls out(normal) but when you go to crank it again it trys but the battery is drained. If I put a charger on it and wait it will start. Also if I restart it like after going to the store its fine. untill it sits for a couple hours.

When I put a volt tester its still reading +12v I think it has a dead cell but the battery is only about 1.5 yrs old (although stamped dec 2000)
You are 'load testing' the battery when you try to start the vehicle. What does the battery voltage read befoe, during, or just after trying to start the vehicle? It sounds as if you have a marginal battery in size and/or CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. I would also check the battery voltage with engine running at approx. 1500 RPM, for a reading of approx. 14V. A battery stamped dec. 2000 is four years (48mos.) old, regardless of when you bought it. Less than 30% of batteries last more than 48 months.
Alvin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
chevyn0va1's Avatar
chevyn0va1 chevyn0va1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 648
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chevyn0va1 Send a message via Yahoo to chevyn0va1
Re: Re: is there a way to load test a battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Souphound
You are 'load testing' the battery when you try to start the vehicle. What does the battery voltage read befoe, during, or just after trying to start the vehicle? It sounds as if you have a marginal battery in size and/or CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. I would also check the battery voltage with engine running at approx. 1500 RPM, for a reading of approx. 14V. A battery stamped dec. 2000 is four years (48mos.) old, regardless of when you bought it. Less than 30% of batteries last more than 48 months.
Alvin
thanks for the tips I will look into it. I was thinking the battery but my dad keeps saying no its still new-lol
__________________
1999 Escort SE 2.0 ltr sohc, 5 speed - old one
1999 Escort SE 2.0 ltr sohc, auto - new one
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan sport 3.3, auto

located in beautiful New England.

"You know failure isn't failure If a lesson from it's learned-I guess love would not be love Without a risk of being burned" ~ Garth Brooks
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escort


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts