-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 AM
noon noon is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 87 z31 issues

I'm about to sell my 87 NA but would like to make a few last minute repairs.

1). power bakes are out. I recently replaced the master cylinder and put new pads all the way around. The pedal does not go all the way to the floor, but it does take a pretty strong push to stop the car. I check the vacuum pressure on the line connecting to the booster. It seem to have a good amount of suction, but then again I'm not sure how much it should have. If this sounds like a bad booster how much would I have to pay someone to replace the booster vs. me doing the work.

2). The car idles rough, usually around 500 rpms and it cuts out on occasion when I accelerate. I also get white exhaust the first time I high rev the engine after a start.

3). The AC is a piece o shiot. I was getting a rumbling/click (it sounds like it has a little compression to it) noise from under the passenger side dash. This would happen even if the AC was off. That noise has stopped, but now the vents blow hot air with the AC on. It does switch back and forth form hot to cold—usually when I hit a bump it blows hot. If I bang on the top center of the dash I can get it to blow cold again, but that only last until I hit another bump. The hot air is very hot as in engine heat hot. I also get a little hot air blowing through the defrost vent even when the fan is off.

any help/advise would be greatly appreciated
NOON
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2005, 04:34 PM
k3smostwanted's Avatar
k3smostwanted k3smostwanted is offline
Z Cars Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: 87 z31 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by noon
2). The car idles rough, usually around 500 rpms and it cuts out on occasion when I accelerate. I also get white exhaust the first time I high rev the engine after a start.
white smoke signifies water/coolant beign burnt through your engine, which is usually a sign that you have a worn headgasket or warped head. sine it only does it when the engine is cooler i am willing to bet it is the headgasket and then once the engine warms up it stretches the headgasket so it seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noon
3). The AC is a piece o shiot. I was getting a rumbling/click (it sounds like it has a little compression to it) noise from under the passenger side dash. This would happen even if the AC was off. That noise has stopped, but now the vents blow hot air with the AC on. It does switch back and forth form hot to cold—usually when I hit a bump it blows hot. If I bang on the top center of the dash I can get it to blow cold again, but that only last until I hit another bump. The hot air is very hot as in engine heat hot. I also get a little hot air blowing through the defrost vent even when the fan is off.
sounds like it needs recharged or you need a new AC compressor but then again when you say you bang on it and you hit a bump it sounds like the switch may be shorted. hmmm.....
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts