-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 PM
phoenity phoenity is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
97 sunfire 2.2 slight miss sometimes and really bad fuel mileage

This summer the ignition module went out and the car sat in my garage for about 4 months. I just got the chance to replace it and it's running pretty well now. However there is still a very slight miss sometimes that I can feel when the car idles (the RPM never seem to flucuate) and it seems to be getting pretty bad mileage than what I remembered.

replaced recently:

AC Delco plugs
coils + module
TPS
before cat O2 sensor
fuel filter
oil + filter
cleaned IAC
new throttle cable (new one does feel a tiny bit looser than the old one requiring a bit more pedal effort, but I don't see how that could affect the idle)

Checked the plug wires for cracks, burns, and resistance seemed fine.

Last week two codes came up: one for the TPS low voltage and one for EGR stuck in closed position.

I unplugged the battery to let the computer reset for the new TPS and the EGR code has either gone away or not had the chance to come back on yet.

The car has never had an emissions test so I don't know if it's running rich.

Any suggestions for things I could check would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 AM
noshun's Avatar
noshun noshun is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,673
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 97 sunfire 2.2 slight miss sometimes and really bad fuel mileage

Can only see that the crank sensor would be at fault you've covered pretty much everything else!!!
__________________
Red Z24 = Dead, 03 2 door = 15.5 with no traction. low 15's here i come

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
phoenity phoenity is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 97 sunfire 2.2 slight miss sometimes and really bad fuel mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Can only see that the crank sensor would be at fault you've covered pretty much everything else!!!
I'll check in my Haynes manual and see if I can test this. I would think a bad sensor would trigger a code, but hell it took weeks for the TPS to trigger a code!!

I was also thinking that a wire could be grounding...it is that slight. Any advice what I could do to check for this?


Edit: hell autozone has the CPS for only $8 bucks...might as well replace it and see what happens!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2005, 02:21 PM
noshun's Avatar
noshun noshun is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,673
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 97 sunfire 2.2 slight miss sometimes and really bad fuel mileage

You could try sprying all the connection with WD40 or similar (water disperant) and clean the connection at the starter motor. there is a ground for the ignition that bolts to one of the starter motor mounting bolts. Just some rough sandpaper to both surfaces.
__________________
Red Z24 = Dead, 03 2 door = 15.5 with no traction. low 15's here i come

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts