-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
firebomb71 firebomb71 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question back hatch lock

Hey all
I just bought a 94 trans sport se and cant get the back hatch to lock. Is there a trick to it or something? all help is apreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 AM
LMP's Avatar
LMP LMP is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,284
Thanks: 7
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Re: back hatch lock

I do not know what you have tried...there are 3 ways in which it should lock:
- with the electric door lock button
- turning the handle opposite to open
- with the key...(mmm in fact, I think for the 11 years I have the car, I,ve nver done that...lol)
IN case it is jammed and want to go inside, may be these drawings will help
www.avigex.ca/xport/reargate.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/reargate2.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2006, 03:04 PM
TheArchitect TheArchitect is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: back hatch lock

Hello,
Well it looks like my 1st post will be resurecting this older post but my problem is similar. I just replaced a keylock assembly and had it re-keyed. I was able to re-assemble everything after some amount of pain fooling around with those lock springs but when I try actiating the lock, I don't hear the electronic lock assembly clicking, nor do I see the rod assembly moving at all. As a matter-of-fact, I don't see any mechanical connections between the rod assembly and the electronic locking assembly so I must have missed somethng when re-assembling this thing. I can't tell from the picture provided in the previous post how the lock assembly (2 on the diagram) interfaces with the lock assembly shown in fig. 12. I know that the power lock for the gate works (well it worked before I disassemble it) and I did not remove the electronic lock assembly component (the one rivet to the door).
My questions:
1. Are there any additional drawings associated with the back gate lock assembly or removal/installation instructions posibly?
2. To double check power is getting to the lock, does anyone know what the voltage level should be across those connector terminals when I activate the lock/unlock switch?
3. Does anyone know where I can get the service manual for this 95 Pontiac Transport other than paying $100+ from the manufacturer?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated!
TheArchitect
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 PM
knuckle ears knuckle ears is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: back hatch lock

I just fixed mine this afternoon. The problem was the previous owner had it apart before me and they removed the small pop rivet to take the electric component out. When they reinstalled it they didn't put the rivet or a screw back in. Afterwards the component dislodged about an 1/8 inch and would not set the locking pin into the key cylinder. I pushed it back together and installed a screw. Works good now.

You may have a a bad electric switch or a wire disconnected.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 PM
TheArchitect TheArchitect is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: back hatch lock

K.E.,
Maybe you can remember this when you had it opened but do you remember how the lock assembly piece (the one with the rod assemblies connected to it) interacts with the actual lock actuator so that when you turn the key using the black colored flanges, it in-turn moves that thing that looks like a handle (figure 12, item #3), which somehow is connected to the lock rod assembly? Even if the electronic lock is working (I'll check that out again tomorrow), it would not cause those rods to move - which unlatches the gate. Right now, I have to do this manually to open the lift gate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM
knuckle ears knuckle ears is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: back hatch lock

All I remember is the rods attached to the swivel part of the assembly. When you turn the handle from outside the van it moves the rods and opens the door. The electronic part only locks and unlocks the door. It doesn't physically open the door. You have to turn the handle. Not sure if you may have thought it would unlactch and open it.
Just does the lock cylinder so no one can open it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:23 PM
TheArchitect TheArchitect is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: back hatch lock

Ah ha, you're right. There wouldn't be anything associated with the electronic lock and the swivel rod assembly. The locking pin seems to be aligned correctly but I better double check, in case its hitting against the side of the access hole and thereby causing the electronic lock not to engage at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 AM
djvsmarkviii's Avatar
djvsmarkviii djvsmarkviii is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: back hatch lock

It never ceases to amaze me that whenever there is an off the wall problem, LMP is there with the answer or drawings. Thanks again to LMP
and Automotive Forums.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts