-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Louis K Louis K is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vibration at 55mph.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee '97 makes a vibration when I'm on the highway doing 55-65mph. It seems to be comming from the front of the vehicle, but I don't feel it in the steering wheel, the dash board and floor of the truck vibrates. I had the tie rods, tires balanced, shocks and front bars all checked out, they all seem fine and tight. Can anyone shed some light please.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2004, 05:46 AM
esfd455 esfd455 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your driveshafts........You might have one out of balance. There are weights welded on them to keep it balanced or it could be bent....... also you might have a universal joint in the front drive shaft going bad. Do you go off road with the Jeep?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Louis K Louis K is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vibration at 55mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfd455
Check your driveshafts........You might have one out of balance. There are weights welded on them to keep it balanced or it could be bent....... also you might have a universal joint in the front drive shaft going bad. Do you go off road with the Jeep?

I had the drive shafts checked and they were fine. I don't go off road at all, the U-joint on the driver side was changed last spring. I spoke to a mechanic who thinks it may be a stabilizer bar loose or transfer case.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:28 AM
a_alyte a_alyte is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vibration at 55mph.

There's a good chance that it could be your stabilizer bar, bushing, or links!

I recently replaced my stabilizer bar bushings & I noticed a big difference when going over bumps, steering wheel is much tighter now!

I just bought stabilizer bar links (JKS) & I'm waiting for those to arrive next week. I'm not a fan of the OEM links & I've read nothing but good things about the JKS'.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
cardnash cardnash is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vibrations/car shaking out of control

I had the same problem. The solution to my issue was getting a new steering damper (I hope that is the correct spelling). It is the shock absorber for your steering wheel. I replaced it with a steering damper designed for off-road use.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts