|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
85 Ford Tempo.
I have a 85 Ford Tempo that I had just recently bought used.
the problem is, when I accelerate the car makes a loud, distinct squeaking sound while in 1st gear. it's an automatic. does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong with my Tempo? |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
Is this moise really loud like fingernails on a chalkboard? If so replace the fan belt, it'll likely go away.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
FAN BELT?....You must be smoking crack....
That car is front wheel drive and has an electric fan motor. Check the brakes/drums/ rotors. |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
The belt may not drive a fan, but it's still there! And it can still squeak!
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
The car has 3 belts....1 drives the water pump, then the serp belt drives the a/c and ps, the 3rd belt drives the alternator.
It helps if you own a tempo and have worked on one, I have many times.If you haven't then quit guessing about a car you haven't worked. Buy a hanyes repair book, 15 bucks.It will help answer any questions. |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
Is it common for the serpinetine belt to squeel when you gunnit? Is it normal for it to smell like roasted tires? I plan on replacing the belt but my friend just replaced his and it still does the same as my old belt.
If this is normal let me know. (93 Ford Tempo 2.3 manual with A/C) Also I cant tell if its truly the serpintine belt making the squeels. I guess Ill need someones ears cus mine are toast from the loud air compressor at work.
__________________
If its not clean CLEAN IT!! If its not gleaming SHINER UP!! If its not appealing BAG IT!!! |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
If the belt squeals even after you replace it, replace the tensioner. Unless a component is seizing up, the tensioner isn't holding the belt tight enough.
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 85 Ford Tempo.
I would say the serpentine belt would slip the least due to its design. I'd check the alternator belt first, and then that stupid little v-string Ford calls a belt. I hated adjusting mine. And it always ended up slipping due to its location.
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|