-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-30-2004, 07:30 PM
nuoldsguy nuoldsguy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interior water leak

My beloved '97 88LS has developed an annoying water leak on the driver side. I've pulled up the carpet and looks like it's coming in around the firewall somewhere. Foam padding is very damp up high on the floor behind the brake pedal. Anyone else had this problem or is it just mine? We had a couple inches of rain today and I had to put a tarp over the car until I can figure out where the water is coming in. Thanks for any ideas..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Hansnet's Avatar
Hansnet Hansnet is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Interior water leak

have a sunroof?

if so it is common on these cars for the drain tubes to come undone and destroy your interior.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
nuoldsguy nuoldsguy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, no sunroof. I did some exploring tonight and with the garden hose, found a stream of water coming in around the firewall where the wiring harness and speedo/brake cable enters and a couple of body seams that looked suspect. I tried some silicone sealer around those areas so hopefully it did some good. There was standing water on driver floorboards with submerged wiring cables. NOT GOOD! Car is in the garage tonight with the driver seat out and carpet/padding up and drying out.

I just bought the car in July from the original owner and it's in immaculate condition. He told me he never even took it out of his garage in the rain. I think I understand why now....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Hansnet's Avatar
Hansnet Hansnet is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Interior water leak

Yeah I would make sure you dry it out RIGHT NOW. All of your electronics and control modules are up under the dash on these cars. water does not do good things. It was common for really strange problems to happen in these cars with sunroofs because the plastic drain tubes would leak down into the interior and rust out the grounds of electronic items on the floor.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts