-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Titaraz Titaraz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

I had to brake hard the other day and my car jerked, went forward and then stopped. It felt like my car slipt a gear and then braked, its an automatic. Then when I tried to test it out I couldn't get it to do it again. Until it snowed the other day and my traction came on and it did it again when I tried to break. I'm not totally sure where or what the problem is and hoped someone could help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2004, 08:30 PM
movin2stereo's Avatar
movin2stereo movin2stereo is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

Your antilock brakes are working.
__________________


Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2004, 08:38 PM
chevyguy93 chevyguy93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 344
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep. thats the anti-lock brakes. it stops your wheels from locking up when making fast stops, or braking on ice so you can steer properly. You wheel's have sensors on them which tells the computer how fast each tire is spinning. if one wheel is going slower than the others, the anti-lock will step in. its really neat. i wish mine were working. lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Classicrocjunkie's Avatar
Classicrocjunkie Classicrocjunkie is offline
Lifted GMT-360!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

yep.. ABS... i dislike it, but makes insurance cheaper
__________________
Please don't PM me with your J-body Issues. Post appropriately in the forums,
and I will toss my opinion in your thread if I have anything to help. - Thanks!


2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
fajita23200 fajita23200 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

I've asked this before awhile back. I got no response. We're talking about the ABS system. I have a 98 Cavalier 2.2 5 spd. I've had brake problems for almost 3 years. No one can even give me a clue as to what the problem is. The problem occurs at low speeds, Mainly when I'm trying to park or turning a corner in 1st. I get a slight grinding noise, then I sometimes slide a couple of inches, more if I try to jam on the brakes.If I let off then hit them again, no problems. The ABS light comes on all the time. I've replaced the rotors, pads, ABS speed sensor, ect. When I replaced the sensor, it worked great for about 4-5 days. Then the same problem reoccured. I went back for a warranty sensor, the manager showed me the old part and the new one. Installed the new one. Upon leaving the parking lot, I had the same light and problems as before. They told me the diagnostics said it was wheel speed variance. What the hell is that?? Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated.
__________________
This above all:To thine own self be true,and it must follow,as the night, the day,thou canst not then be false to any man.(William Shakespeare)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Classicrocjunkie's Avatar
Classicrocjunkie Classicrocjunkie is offline
Lifted GMT-360!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

... yea i'm gettin to the point of hating drums. I've replaced them twice in the past year.. its quite possible the lugs are over tightend. I did it by hand once and i got the same thing... I'm to the point of doing the rear conversion... just the price of 700 bucks is killen me.
__________________
Please don't PM me with your J-body Issues. Post appropriately in the forums,
and I will toss my opinion in your thread if I have anything to help. - Thanks!


2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
ImSoYesterday ImSoYesterday is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 377
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoYesterday Send a message via AIM to ImSoYesterday Send a message via MSN to ImSoYesterday Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoYesterday
fajita23200: The problem occurs at low speeds, Mainly when I'm trying to park or turning a corner in 1st.


Why are you turning corners in first unless first stopped, in which case you shouldnt be on the break. Never go below second on a turn.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 AM
fajita23200 fajita23200 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoYesterday
fajita23200: The problem occurs at low speeds, Mainly when I'm trying to park or turning a corner in 1st.


Why are you turning corners in first unless first stopped, in which case you shouldnt be on the break. Never go below second on a turn.
I stand corrected, I got the 2 things reversed. When I park I'm always in 1st. When turning in 2nd unless stopped. Thanks for catching my confusion. But that still does not give me any idea about my brakes.
__________________
This above all:To thine own self be true,and it must follow,as the night, the day,thou canst not then be false to any man.(William Shakespeare)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2004, 01:19 AM
vintweed vintweed is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to vintweed
I've also replaced every brake part twice...still have the same problem...did you try the abs relay under the hood? otherwise, just take it out. aside from having an annoying abs light on all the time and manual brakes i've preferred it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Classicrocjunkie's Avatar
Classicrocjunkie Classicrocjunkie is offline
Lifted GMT-360!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

aftermarket rims are a killer on brakes as well.... so if you got them... you will be going through them faster..
__________________
Please don't PM me with your J-body Issues. Post appropriately in the forums,
and I will toss my opinion in your thread if I have anything to help. - Thanks!


2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 AM
93_R/T_TT_Stealth's Avatar
93_R/T_TT_Stealth 93_R/T_TT_Stealth is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
Re: Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
... yea i'm gettin to the point of hating drums. I've replaced them twice in the past year.. its quite possible the lugs are over tightend. I did it by hand once and i got the same thing... I'm to the point of doing the rear conversion... just the price of 700 bucks is killen me.

if i know of someone that wrecked a cav within ur usable year - i will let u know - cause its not too hard to swap u just disconnect the lines are the block - pull the eb cables - an disconnect the abs wires to the sensors if applicable .... but if i get my hands on one i will prob be able to get it to ya for like 2-300+ship - possible less/ for the entire rear assy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2004, 11:38 AM
fajita23200 fajita23200 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cavalier Brake/Traction Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintweed
I've also replaced every brake part twice...still have the same problem...did you try the abs relay under the hood? otherwise, just take it out. aside from having an annoying abs light on all the time and manual brakes i've preferred it.
I've replaced many brake parts. But, to no avail. But, I'll check out the ABS relay. Thanks for the advice.
__________________
This above all:To thine own self be true,and it must follow,as the night, the day,thou canst not then be false to any man.(William Shakespeare)
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts