-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Timothy Moore Timothy Moore is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Probe Fuse engine 2 blowing?

I have a 1990 Ford Probe 4 cyl. non-turbo with what started out to be a battery problem. The negative battery cable was loose, and I am assuming that the battery was arching. Which in turn I think had blown my fuel pump - I had replaced the pump and also the negative cable. Now when I start the car, it runs for about 5 seconds and kills immediately. The reason it kills is always the "engine 2" fuse in the fuse block inside the vehicle has blown. I can replace this fuse, but the same thing happens again. Any suggestions or ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:31 PM
4dr92cavi4cyl's Avatar
4dr92cavi4cyl 4dr92cavi4cyl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 484
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Probe Fuse engine 2 blowing?

My guess is the battery may have fried something else, wires, relays, anything that's causing it to short out and blow the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Timothy Moore Timothy Moore is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any other suggestions?

I have traced the entire wiring harness, and the only concern I had found was one wire which goes into the fuel pump assembly. The wire had sections where the insulation was worn off - bare wires. I spliced a new piece of wire in the placeof the bad section, but I am still having the same problem as described earlier.

Also does anyone know how to test relays and and in-line fuses? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I then could continue to trouble shoot the wiring.

Thank you,
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2004, 12:03 AM
MAURICIO027 MAURICIO027 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Probe Fuse engine 2 blowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dr92cavi4cyl
My guess is the battery may have fried something else, wires, relays, anything that's causing it to short out and blow the fuse.
THERE IS A TOOL IN THE MARKET IS CALL POWER PROBE.THIS TOOL LETS U TEST WIRES BY PUT IN POWER EACH ONE.THE TOOL HAS A BUILD IN FUSE THAT IS RESETABLE.THE IS ONLY SOLD BY SNAPON.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2004, 04:21 AM
Timothy Moore Timothy Moore is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...

Thanks for the info, my brother is a Snap-On Dealer - I will have to ask him if I could get the tester from him.

Thanks again,
Tim
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts