-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
guitarXgeek's Avatar
guitarXgeek guitarXgeek is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to guitarXgeek
Oil Pressure Gauge Question

Alright, so my new oil pressure gauge (electrical) came in and I have a few questions before I install it. I'm a pretty big newb when it comes to electronics and wiring, so bear with me . I've read over directions for the install as well as some threads on tuners, and I completely understand most of it. My first question is where do I run the power source (not for the backlight) for the gauge? The manual says ignition switch, but I don't know where/how to wire that up. Is that just a fancy name for a 12v power source (like the cig lighter)? If so, is it alright if I run it from there, considering I have the backlighting from BOTH my boost and oil press. gauges getting their power/ground from there too? Would I need to get a higher amp fuse for the cig lighter (stock is 15A, I'm thinking maybe 25A would suffice)?

Second question: I've read numerous times that the autometer sending unit will die FAST if not remotely mounted, due to engine vibrations. Since I don't want to mess with mounting it remotely, is it ok if I just use the stock sending unit?

Any other tips or suggestions would help A LOT! Thanks

Matt
__________________

95 GSX
DSMlink, "50 Trim", and track times coming VERY SOON!

Last edited by guitarXgeek; 11-12-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2004, 08:36 PM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question

Yes, they just mean a switched 12v power supply, cig lighter circuit is fine. NEver change the fuse rating, its not dependant on how much your pulling from it, but the amp rating of the wiring in the circuit it protects.

I dont think the stock sender sends the same signal as the aftermarket guage. And most poeple get away with direct mounting on "normal"cars. High vibration cars typically mean cars with no balance shafts, cams, and solid mounts. If you decide to remount mount it you dont have to get fancy with an AN setup like mine, autometer sells remote mounting kits for 30-40 bucks. Summit has them, you can check the price there.
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2004, 08:42 PM
guitarXgeek's Avatar
guitarXgeek guitarXgeek is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to guitarXgeek
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question

Omg thank you so much, I never though I'd get a direct answer to those questions. Everyone's always saying "I'm pretty sure" or "I think" this that and the other. Thanks Kev!
__________________

95 GSX
DSMlink, "50 Trim", and track times coming VERY SOON!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2004, 08:31 PM
sprayedlude93 sprayedlude93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sprayedlude93
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question

How do I exactly hook this gauge up. I have my motor out and im installing it on Friday and would like good instructions on how to do this. I also have a electric Autometer style gauge. Where behind the block does the sender go? anyone have pics or even good tip on how they wired it; Like verbadum, lol.
Help 2 days till friday
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
sprayedlude93 sprayedlude93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sprayedlude93
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question

I have a honda prelude h22a
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 PM
1stGenRocks's Avatar
1stGenRocks 1stGenRocks is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,973
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 1stGenRocks
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question

then go to the honda prelude forum. we can give you generic help but we don't know the exact install on a prelude. sorry
__________________
-1stGenRocks-
95 Tsi AWD: 6 bolt, DSMLink, 880's, ACT 2600, lightweight flywheel, AGX's, Dropzone springs, poly motor mounts and suspension bushings, 3 inch turboback, gus modded 1g BOV, hardpipes, drilled & slotted rotors, 17's

plans: bastard 20g, water/meth injection NO FMIC
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts