-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
scottsee scottsee is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,677
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to scottsee
Engine rebuild questions

I’ve called 4 different places about remanufacturing my 6-bolt block and have got different answers from each one. So I would like to run by you guys/galls what I’ve heard, and ask what you would recommend.

I picked up my 6-bolt 4g63 short block engine (production date 9/91) today, for $150. its warrantied as rebuildible, so I’ve been calling around asking what prices are on bake& blasts, diamond boring & honed’s, redecking, and balanced and blueprinting. Im curious about what everyone is paying around the country for these. I’ve been quoted similar prices around town here in Spokane. But I haven’t look anywhere else. So let me run this buy you all, and tell me what you think.

Bake & Blast $55 bucks for the disassembled closed deck cast iron block
Hot Tank $40 bucks. (ps. Witch one is better? Baked or hot tank?)
Diamond bored & honed $45 to any circumference the block will physically allow.
Balance & Blueprint of entire Short block + flywheel $115

With a 6 bolt do you think getting it balanced is necessary?
__________________
DSM geek
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 PM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Engine rebuild questions

I dont know about individual prices, I just tell teh machinist what I want. I get dissasembly, cleaning, decking, 4 rods reconed, crank polish (if needed), boring/honing, bearings, assembly, for ~500. So when I rebuild after I blow it up its typically 500 for machining, 400 for pistons. I get out of it for 900 each time.

Balancing is one of things where it can only help, its jsut a matter of how much money you have.
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts