-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-31-2004, 04:36 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Angry Front brakes sticking???

Ok guys heres the deal. I had let my car sit for bout a month b/c it needed some rear suspension work that I am doing myself slowly cuz of money issues. When I finally pulled it into the garage to do the work, the brakes seemed to be tight. So i jacked it up and couldn't even get them to spin in neutral. So I took the calipers off and pushed the pistons back in expcept that the left one wouldn't go all the way in. (PS the brake fluid lid WAS off so pressure shouldn't be an issue in that aspect) They spun ok then so i took it out on the road. It still felt like I was pushing the brake and gas when I was only pushing the gas. I find it hard to believe that both calipers SUDDENLY went bad at the same ti me. Help me. It's a 1984 honda prelude.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Re: Front brakes sticking???

Also I thought maybe the check valve etc. might be leaking but it seems ok and It also has a dual proportioning valve on it and a brake booster. THATS ALL, so what is my problem. I can scan my shop manual photos if some1 needs them to get a better idea, just let me know. I don't have time right now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2004, 04:44 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Re: Front brakes sticking???

I was wondering if the brake booster can release the vaccum put on it when the car is off. Is it supposed to cuz mine doesn't seem to. I would think it should so it didn't coz pressure on the system, but my back seem alright so i don get it. Please help me. Pretty please. I gota put a rear strut on the thing too and I don got time for this crap!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-2004, 12:34 AM
rubix777's Avatar
rubix777 rubix777 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rubix777
did you check the master and slave cylinders if they were working?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2004, 07:10 AM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Re: Front brakes sticking???

I will try, but I don't understand what they would have to do with a constant pressure. I've heard of brakes not pressing hard enough and the master cylinder to blame, but I've never heard of this kind of thing. I'll check. Keep the comments comin guys.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
k_dog's Avatar
k_dog k_dog is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,241
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to k_dog Send a message via AIM to k_dog Send a message via MSN to k_dog Send a message via Yahoo to k_dog
Could also be just the fact that the Calipers are locked up. I had this happen on my Celica once.

-Brian
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:57 PM
drmeyers2001 drmeyers2001 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to drmeyers2001
another thing that could be doing it is if the parking brake is permenantly on...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2004, 03:49 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Smile

It's not the parking brake. I actually took the left front one off and took it apart. I decided "Screw it". And It turns out that the boot had been punctured in two places. The car wasn't driven much and apparently just prior to me buying it the previous owner changed the brakes. He must have done it himself, b/c that puncture was caused by a c-clamp that had slipped. Any way when a brake shop does brake work, it costs a ton b/c they usually rebuild all the insides like the piston, boot, seal, and hone that cylinder. When the boot was punctured it began to rust a little, then he must have changed the brakes and when he pushed the cylinders back in that rust pushed over the seal and broke it cuz there was fluid behinde the boot. Long story short, I need two new front calipers. I ordered them for tommorow loaded with pads for $90. Not bad. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Re: Front brakes sticking???

PS- I also changed my rear strut 2day and that was suprisinly easy! But the addition of the bad calipers blows.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:36 PM
bobinohio84's Avatar
bobinohio84 bobinohio84 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Just testin my new signature
__________________
My car is my baby. Her name is Bridgette.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Prelude


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts