-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-31-2004, 06:52 AM
rpease rpease is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
overheating when parked

hello all.
I am having a problem with my car overheating when I am parked or if I am driving in city traffic with the fan for the a/c or the heat on. If I turn the fan off it drops back down or if I get on the highway and reach driving speed it drops. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 AM
jeffreyb4me jeffreyb4me is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

First check the 30A fuse for the aux. fan circuit, can't remember it's number butif it's blown, it will be obviously burnt.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2004, 01:15 PM
reaux reaux is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

yeah, I had this problem when i had a front end accident and my aux fan got ripped out. I believe you will find it most likely has to do with your auxiliary fan (in front of the radiator)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2004, 04:00 PM
rpease rpease is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Thanks,
I checked the fuses and they seem to be intact. Is this a diy job?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2004, 04:34 PM
reaux reaux is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Is your check engine light on?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2004, 06:53 PM
jeffreyb4me jeffreyb4me is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

It still maybe a diy job, be back mon. if you can wait.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2004, 07:15 AM
rpease rpease is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Yes my check engine light is on. I just replaced the o2 sensors myself.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
reaux reaux is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Alright, are there any more error codes? have you tried to reset the light and see if it comes back with another error?

Also, when does your auxiliary fan kick on?

Have you checked your thermostat?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2004, 09:18 PM
jeffreyb4me jeffreyb4me is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

I shall bow out, 'reaux' is doing fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2004, 09:49 PM
reaux reaux is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Heh thanks, but then again, a second opinion never hurt anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-02-2004, 08:10 AM
rpease rpease is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Unfortunately, I don't have a peake tool. Is there another way I can reset the check engine light. It definately looks like the aux fan is not coming on.
in your opinion does the switch control the fan?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2004, 11:51 AM
rpease rpease is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: overheating when parked

Just had it to the dealer to clear out the fault codes and they told me that it is my fan clutch.
Is this tough to replace?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts