-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-28-2004, 03:33 PM
fourdoor fourdoor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High mileage on a 97 Taurus

Hi. I'm new here so I don't know if this question has come up before, but I'm thinking of buying a 97 Taurus GL wagon with about 156,000 miles on it. I was told by a couple of people, that you can get some very high mileage out of these cars and have heard of them going upwards of 300,000 miles reliably. I believe the tranny was replaced by Ford, about at about 100,000 miles.
Is it true that the taurus is a good vehicle when it comes to high milage, and I'm also wondering if anyone has tried to replace the oil in theirs with a full synthetic to improve engine life?
I've always driven F-150's but don't need the power or cargo room any more, so the taurus seems the way to go.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2004, 12:45 AM
drdisque's Avatar
drdisque drdisque is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: High mileage on a 97 Taurus

the engine will run forever, but unfortunately, you'll be replacing transmissions every 70-90k miles.

I personally wouldn't try to switch to synthetic in an engine that already has 156k on it and hasn't been on it before, theres a good chance that would cause leaks.
__________________
Dr. Disque -
Current cars:
2008 BMW 135i M-Sport
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts