-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Billet Aluminum Billet Aluminum is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 GP front hub/rotor

My 2002 grand prix has a howl in the front end. It has 55,xxx miles. At first I tought it may be a slipped belt as it seemed to start right after I rotated the tires. Sears inspected them and rebalanced all 4, which was cool of them. It didn't correct the noise. It lessens when I turn left, louder when I turn right. So I think its the left bearing. Thing is when I took the wheel off to inspect it I noticed the holes in the rotor for the studs are much bigger than the studs. They don't look wallered out(egg shaped). I checked the other side and same thing. Has anyone else noticed this on their vehicle? Heck maybe they are both wallered out and both bearings are bad. There is also rub marks oblong on the back of the wheels where the stud holes are. This seems unusual for 50,xxx. These are high dollar items, figures go bad soon as warrenty is up. Any input appreciated, Thnx.....Tom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
ru35angel's Avatar
ru35angel ru35angel is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have sme problem.....Sounds more like the sound a flat tire would make.....I changed rotors on the front then one week later the noise.....I rotated tires, adjusted brakes, and rotated the rotors..... Dealership says new Hub due to broken bearing in hub... normally I would change it but some designer thought making a sealed hub would be a better idea.... thanx Pontiac......if its the rotor then expect to pay $500+
- noticed the larger holes too though...?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: 2002 GP front hub/rotor

It certainly sounds like a wheel bearing to me. And yes they are a high dollar item. However, if it continues to get worse you may find yourself stranded by the road some day. You should have it changed as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts