Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
S13wanabe
AF Enthusiast

Question Help need turbo and s13 conversion

I just got my 1991 240SX SE. I was wondering if there are any complete turbo kits out there for this car. I keep finding them for 1994 and newer. Also I plan on puting the jdm s13 front end on it. Does anyone have suggestions on where to get this in socal.
S13wanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23
They are for 1996 and newer, not 1994 because the ECU upgrade they give you has to deal with OBD-II. As for the front-end, just get the parts and they blot right up to the frame, this is not kit from extreme dimensions like there was for your civic you had before.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
S13wanabe
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help need turbo and s13 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23
They are for 1996 and newer, not 1994 because the ECU upgrade they give you has to deal with OBD-II. As for the front-end, just get the parts and they blot right up to the frame, this is not kit from extreme dimensions like there was for your civic you had before.
Do you know if they even make complete kits for the 1991, or am I going to have to drop in a red top sr20det. The damn ka24de has 8.5:1 compression. I would think there would be at least one kit for it.
S13wanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
logik23
Banned

I dunno if it exist, you might have to make your own. Search it on the forums, people have listed all the parts you need.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

KA24DE has 9.5:1 compression. Piece your own kit together.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
BaDmAn
AF Enthusiast

Just because theres no kit for your KA doesnt mean you have to buy an SR. . . . Like nissanfanatic said piece your own kit together BUT FIRST do you know your stuff about turbos? Its not a lego set or one of those Mega Block boxes. . . . I'm not jumping down your throat but it always helps to know a thing or two about what you are getting yourself into.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:38 AM   #7
SHIFT_KA24DE
AF Enthusiast

True... KA-T isn't bad at all... considering it's iron-cast. anyway... for you KA-T fans... would you have still gone/go with that project if your KA had heavy mileage... (for example ...170~200k) ??

replacing internals sounds like hard/expensive work...
SHIFT_KA24DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 AM   #8
BaDmAn
AF Enthusiast

Not every engine gets the care it deserves to make it that high or much afterwards so think about it like this if you want a lot out of your car than go with a nice rebuild because it will be worth it in the "long run".
Old 09-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

I'm about to put my kit on at 133k. I have heard of 200k+ turboed KAs. It all depends on the condition of the engine and how the world decides to treat you. Shit can go wrong with any age engine. All you can do is take a lot of precautions. But to answer your question, I would just get a lower mileage KA from the junkyard.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #10
sxsamurai
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to sxsamurai Send a message via Yahoo to sxsamurai

ive heard greddy has a turbo kit for the ka24de im tryin to find out for sure as well, but if you have the time cash and skills nothin beats a custom tuned turbo
if you concerned about the motor low milage kas are pretty cheap and easy to find
my ka was babied from the showroom floor till now so im building on it at 210k the motor is still flawless
i suggest spendin a little cash and running a dyno to see where the motor you got now lies, if its close to stock performance clean it up internaly and go for the turbo (make sure you consider upgrading your internals if your going to run over 8 or 9 lbs of boost) (remember you can run lower psi on n/a motors because of "zero spool") if the dyno run sucks get a new ka and go from there
sxsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
logik23
Banned

GReddy does make a turbo kit for the KA, but only the 1996-1998 one. I dunno if the hardware will fit on other years, but I know the E-Manage won't.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #12
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

What do you mean by "zero spool"? Quicker spool times due to higher compression I'm guessing? You don't really need to dyno run either. Just compression check it, look at the oil the next time you change it, and don't go boost crazy. Dyno runs aren't a bad idea, but they aren't really necessary. As for engine work, a metal head gasket is always a good idea. Plenty of guys run 12psi+ on stock engines. Just tune it correctly.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX