-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

How do I get behind the HVAC controls to replace the bulb?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2004, 04:34 PM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

remove the interior accessory trim panel, and then the screws holding the HVAC unit in the dash. The bulb is in the bottom of the unit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

My question is, where is the perimeter of the trim panel? I've taken a few dashes apart, but couldn't find what/where to pull off on the Lumina.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:53 AM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

I believe the panel goes across the whole dash, one piece, and if similar to a Regal, is retained by spring clips.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:43 PM
jeffcoslacker's Avatar
jeffcoslacker jeffcoslacker is offline
Lactose the Intolerant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,410
Thanks: 4
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

They are getting really tricky with trim of late, gone are the obvious screws and stuff you used to see. I went through your dillemma when I replaced the stereo head unit in mine. Anymore, I just go to a Best Buy and ask the installer guys, they know how everything comes apart on the new stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

OK, I got the dash apart. You have to take the main top dash pad off (5-6 screws underneath), then unscrew the trim panel that's on the right side of the dash (3 screws), then 4 screws that hold the climate control unit in, and 1 screw that clamps the wiring to the control, to be able to pull it out far enough. Then press the 4 tabs that hold the two halves together, and pull the long flat white connector (~20 conductor, blue insulation wires) off to be able to pull the halves apart more. There's another group of wires (larger gauge, 4 wires) I couldn't figure out how to unplug from the unit. I'm sure it unplugs back in the dash, but it would have helped to unplug from the unit.

Anyway, I got this far and the only bulb accessable in that part is for the fan speed level indicator. There were a couple of PCBs sandwiched together and attached to the face of the control unit, and I started pulling them apart from the face (getting someone out) but I didn't have a socket small enough (very small) to remove two screws that I think were holding it in. I had to put the dash back together. If I go through the trouble of taking apart again, and take the control unit apart even more (taking the PCBs out), can that be done without breaking it, and is the bulb that's behind there even replaceable without using solder?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 AM
goldwinger goldwinger is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

Sorry Corkscrew, the lights are monunted to the PCBs and must be soldered in. They are availible at Radio Shack (At least here in Canada) If you want to do it let me know I can give you much more detailed info as I just changed mine about 2 months ago.
__________________
It's better on a bike!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

Yes, please give me more info you think I might need. I can tackle minor solder jobs, but if it's real small, I'd probably screw it up.

Though I could at least try since my alternative is to replace it with one from the auto salvage anyway.

Do you still have the bulb # and/or the price?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going to an auto salvage yard to try get a control unit that worked, for several reasons:
The radio shack's around here only have about 2 bulbs at each store, and all 6 are burned out in the control, so I'd have to travel all over the place.
Not being sure that after replacing them all, it would even fix the problem.
No being sure I could do it correctly.
I blew one of the red rectangle LED's hooking a battery up to it, and can't find a replacement.

I've tried 4 different units from the 'yard', and 2 of them looked like they may have had 1 and 2 bulbs working, and the other 2 had none. I plan to go back to the yard next weekend, but instead of having to keep going through their 'checkout' process (incl long lines) of trying each unit, I want to be able to check them out in the yard myself with a battery or batteries and if it doesn't work, move on to the next one. Does anyone know which wires I would need to supply power to to get it to work, and how much voltage I would need? BTW, I have a box with a view hole I use to put them in so it's dark, so I can see if they light up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2004, 10:04 PM
cadgear's Avatar
cadgear cadgear is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 556
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

A thought, get a voltmeter and see if you're getting voltage TO the dash unit at all. I think (big time on the THINK part) that you need a brown and grey wire for illumination. Haynes isn't too particular with models, just a general typical baseline thingus.

Anyhow, measure the voltage if you can, and that'll give you a good guesstimate on what kinda battery you'll need to bring along.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

It has two wide flat connectors, and all the wires are blue. It has one more square connector with 4 larger guage wires, for the fan speed selector.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

Help! I'll be going back to the salvage yard tomorrow.

Also, does anyone know if the control from an earlier year model (ie. 91-93) will work on a 94? They look similar, but the lettering and fan picture is a little different, so I didn't know if it was different inside.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-01-2004, 08:57 AM
goldwinger goldwinger is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

I am pretty sure they are all the same, just check the connectors where they attach to the car wireing harness If they fit it should work.
Good Luck
__________________
It's better on a bike!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Corkscrew Corkscrew is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

Still wondering if anyone knows which wires and voltage to check the lighting?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 AM
goldwinger goldwinger is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 94 Lumina - replacing bulb for HVAC controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrew
Thanks.

Still wondering if anyone knows which wires and voltage to check the lighting?
Hey Corkscrew, If I remember right the two wires that go to light up the fan position switch (It can be pulled out as it only sits in a rubber gromet) follow these back to where they plug into the board, pull the connector off and use the two prongs as + and - . It gets 12V from the car but I am sure if you were to use a 9v battery you should be able to get some light out of the bulbs that are working. Or if you happen to have a power tool drill,saw etc that is 12v it would work even better.

Good Luck
__________________
It's better on a bike!!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts