-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-09-2004, 09:55 PM
SHAMARKEN SHAMARKEN is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
88 Ranger

What's wrong with my ranger,2.9 5 speed.The truck runs perfect for about 10 minutes then it starts acting up.Seems like it overloading or starving for gas.I changed the fuel pump,map sensor,cat,distributor.If you disconnect the 02 no differnce.Need help before I decide to trash this thing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
freeclimber freeclimber is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 88 Ranger

You need to be a lot more specific about what happens, when it happens, driving conditions, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2004, 07:24 PM
SHAMARKEN SHAMARKEN is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 88 Ranger

when your driving at hiway speeds or if you let the truck idle fro awhile it's just starts loading up & loosing power hit the gas & it clears up good for a couple of miles & it'll start doing it again.Just feels as if your running to lean or it's starving for fuel,seems to blow black smoke when it those this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2004, 12:53 PM
boom22 boom22 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the exact same trouble with my 88 ranger 2.9L. I tried to change the two fuel pumps, distributor,cables,fuel regulator, oxygen sensor, ignition module but it never solved my problem. I tried to figure out if there was a link with humidity and outside temperature and there was no. When the problem occurs, the engine seems verry unbalanced as if some cylinder were not functionning. When it happens on the road i sometimes turn the switch off an on and let the engine start by compression then it's ok for a while but the trouble always come back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2004, 04:39 AM
John476 John476 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does the truck seem to be running at a fast idle when cold and can you smell a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust? Do you have to apply the gas pedal down a little bit when starting (flooding the engine)? When the engine is warmed up, does it then run rough (with a rich mixture)?

I had the same type of problem with my '89 Ranger. Using a DMM, I checked the same parts that were mentioned in the above messages. All those parts were fine. I then checked my truck's computer codes and got a 21. This code basically tells the computer that the temperature inside the engine is at -40 degrees F. The ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) is open. I did not expect this part to go out so soon, since I replaced it last year. It's nothing more than a cheap plastic housing with a variable resistor inside. All cars have some kind of temp sensor in them (one for the engine, and another for the dashboard dial, in my truck). This is just one possible idea to check. One bad sensor can cause a lot of problems with an engine. I don't know if they installed computers in the '88 models, I think so. Try checking the computer error codes if it's possible, it might provide a good place to start trouble-shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2004, 11:17 AM
boom22 boom22 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, I'll check this part because there's actually fuel comming out of the exaust. The last time I checked my cumputer for codes there were no but since the trouble is intermittent may be a new check would give some.
Thanks again for the clue because I ad really no idea where to look next
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts