-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 AM
hantar1 hantar1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HUD Dim and Bright

I need some help. My HUD in my 1999 grand prix gt will go dim and bright as it pleases and occasionally it won't be there at all. Can anyone help with the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
BIG-L's Avatar
BIG-L BIG-L is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This should help you out with the fix .....~Larry~


How to fix the HUD dimming problem.
By Steve Cox, ClubGP Member:1890
9/22/2001

1. Remove HUD from car.
2. Remove 4 Torix screws from top of HUD
3. Remove ribbon cable and small 2-wire cable from circuit board.
4. Remove circuit board.
5. On the board there is a small photocell, the problem is that the cell has a cold solder joint. The cell is a 1/3-inch
Circle with a black square in the center. All you need to do is resolder the two legs.
6. Put everything back.

I was unable to find a replacement cell at radio shack. Monday I will look at a Digikey catalog and try to find the part.
The cell produces a small amount of voltage. The more light the more voltage. 0-.75 volts. Mt cell was working fine but the joint was loose. When the board heated up it lost the joint increased resistance to the point that the HUD lost the voltage reference.

So far this has worked for 4 hours. Before the fix it would dim out in 10 minutes. I need others to try this and report back.



__________________

ClubGP Member 6530
Since 2001
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
ericvrose ericvrose is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Question. I have a 00 that does the exact same thing. Seems to do it more often when its cold outside. Eventually I guess I'll have the dealer replace it before the warranty expires.
Except now that I see the post directly above mine, I will try that first.
Thanks Big-L!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts