-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-03-2004, 01:27 PM
smhill smhill is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Funny break problem

I just bought my 1999 Cav a few weeks ago. I'm in love with it! But I'm having a slight break issue. Sometimes as I'm slowing down and turning (like entering/exiting a parking lot) the breaks make the strangest sound--like sand in a blender. It's different than your usual grinding breaks--more gritty. And I can feel it in the break pedal and steering wheel. The breaks sort of "skip" while this is happening. Sometimes I'm afraid the car won't stop. Luckily it doesn't do this at higher speeds--only "creeping" around corners. I've also noticed that the "low-trac" light seems to come on when this happens. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2004, 01:53 PM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: Funny break problem

you may have a wheel bearing starting to go bad. The bearing deforms under a load while turning, causing it to make a grinding noise. Teh low trac light is going off because the ABS module is sensing different wheel speeds from one side to the other due to the bearing binding.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts