-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-22-2004, 05:46 PM
JP 90 JP 90 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 200K maintenance???

Hello,
My 1990 V6 SR5 is about to hit that magical 200000 mile mark and I want to make sure I get a lot more out of it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to get checked out (i.e. common older Toyota problems), without spending a fortune on the usual 'scheduled maintenance' packages? I dont need most of the standard stuff they give you, like an engine tuneup, oil change or brakes done, but I would like someone with more knowledge and experience than myself to take a good look at it.

Timing belt is OK, clutch has been replaced, alternator replaced, tires OK, I changed plugs/ignition wires/dist.cap and rotor recently...anything else major to watch out for on my aging beauty? A couple of months ago while away from home I had to replace the idler bracket assembly (a $500 part plus $400 labor) and I am trying to avoid other major parts/systems going if at all preventable.

Another possibility would be to wait until I do need an oil change and brake work (about 25% left) and just get one of those scheduled maint. packages, but they seem overpriced to me.

Lastly - is it worth the extra expense to bring it to a Toyota dealership? I usually use another shop.

Thanks for any advice.

JP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 200K maintenance???

PCV Valve replaced, valves lash adjusted, brake lines flushed, transmission flushed, differentials lubed, propellor shafts lubed, power steering fluid replaced, alignment...

Except for very specialized work - head gasket, valve job, lower end work on engine, transmission work, etc. I don't think the dealer is a good buy. If you go to an outside mechanic, most will allow you to specify Toyota parts. That is the only advantage in many cases.

Last edited by Brian R.; 08-22-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2004, 02:55 PM
JP 90 JP 90 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response and advice, Brian. Getting it taken care of this week.

-JP
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 200K maintenance???

Your welcome

Not all what I said to check absolutely needs to be done. Just some things you should check. Replace lube in transfer case also. The transmission flush I mentioned was for an automatic. Just replace the gear lube in yours.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
digitalrain digitalrain is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to digitalrain Send a message via Yahoo to digitalrain
Re: 200K maintenance???

I recently replaced the rad on my 4Runner after talking to a mechanic.
He said the number one cause of hot spots in an engine leading to head gasket falures is poor condition radiators. Eventhough, the temp gage is down and the rad cooling fins look good ... that is not a sign that you are safe.
Considering how hot the new vehicles run ....... I'd say its not a bad investment to ensure engine longevity.





Quote:
Originally Posted by JP 90
Hello,
My 1990 V6 SR5 is about to hit that magical 200000 mile mark and I want to make sure I get a lot more out of it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to get checked out (i.e. common older Toyota problems), without spending a fortune on the usual 'scheduled maintenance' packages? I dont need most of the standard stuff they give you, like an engine tuneup, oil change or brakes done, but I would like someone with more knowledge and experience than myself to take a good look at it.

Timing belt is OK, clutch has been replaced, alternator replaced, tires OK, I changed plugs/ignition wires/dist.cap and rotor recently...anything else major to watch out for on my aging beauty? A couple of months ago while away from home I had to replace the idler bracket assembly (a $500 part plus $400 labor) and I am trying to avoid other major parts/systems going if at all preventable.

Another possibility would be to wait until I do need an oil change and brake work (about 25% left) and just get one of those scheduled maint. packages, but they seem overpriced to me.

Lastly - is it worth the extra expense to bring it to a Toyota dealership? I usually use another shop.

Thanks for any advice.

JP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 200K maintenance???

If that's number one, then number two is inadequate coolant.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Tomsriv Tomsriv is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 200K maintenance???

Yeah, replace hoses too. Besides the coolant hoses you should also check the Fuel hoses and the brake line hoses. The miles of vacuum hoses on the top of the engine will eventually break and give you driveability problems. If you can replace them as a set it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 200K maintenance???

Good idea. Buy a 30-ft length of small vacuum hose and take one off at a time, cut a new one to fit, and replace it. Do it for all the hoses.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts