-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-21-2004, 01:07 PM
CaptainPontiac CaptainPontiac is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04 GTP CompG Driving Rough

I have a 2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG with a little over 1000 miles on it. Since purchase this car has developed a noticeable rough feeling coming from the driver’s side front end on acceleration or when cruising at speeds above 20 MPH. It is especially noticeable while the engine is running at 1200-1400 RPM. The car idles smoothly at 700 RPM but idling at 1200-1400 RPM is very rough and does cause vibration in the engine compartment and front seat area.

This rough feeling is not a tire balancing issue and it does not transmit through the steering column as a shimmy. It has a similar feeling to a problem with a wheel bearing on a previous car but this does not make any sound such as grinding, whining, etc.

I took the car back to the dealership and after they checked it out they dismissed the problem as road feel due to the performance tires and handling. I test drove an identical GTP CompG and it did not feel rough like this at all.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be wrong with my car.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Z987784 Z987784 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what the problem could be. My only suggestion would be to keep taking the car back to get fixed. After a certain number of unsuccessful tries, you can probably take advantage of the lemon law and get a new car. (just a suggestion)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2004, 04:10 AM
jeffs_GTP_sleeper's Avatar
jeffs_GTP_sleeper jeffs_GTP_sleeper is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 04 GTP CompG Driving Rough

I am not a mechanic but I have read about people who had problems like this and they found out it was a pully that was wobbling slightly.

I think it was the idler pulley.

good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
carnutcass's Avatar
carnutcass carnutcass is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the car to a different dealership.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts