-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2004, 06:25 PM
xlwhellraiser xlwhellraiser is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to xlwhellraiser
Make third gen. w/ ground effects run cooler!!!

Hi, I just woke up today and an idea poped in my head. I have 89 bird with ground effect of which in front there is no sign of a grille, let alone any vents for air to come in. (there are two and the very bottom in the very corners, and they seem to be throwing air at tires).
So I took off the bra off and I took my drill. I looked under the front and noticed that there is a big beam right infront of the bumper that just makes it impossible for air to travel if the firebird had a grille anyway. So I went up a little and there it was. An oppening which in the uper 3rd of the grille (about where you would put the pontiac symbol). I measured it carefully and than I started drilling. I drilled holes about 3/8 apart and in a straight line if possible. Than the important thing is to drill them at an angle so that they point at the radiator more so than the ground. After that I went ahead cut my bra, and painted the opening black. Now it looks like a pretty damn aggressive grille, and when I took the bird for a spin it warmed up much slower than it usually does. When it hit 215 the fan came on and it droped to 160-180. It was awsome. Now I hope that it runs cooler, which it should. I will add some more holes just so it makes the grille look even.
Give me some feedback of what you think.
__________________
Ford Mustang -- Rice intimidator
Camaro -- Rice killer
Firebird -- Priceless

If Ricers are Fast and Furious, than Muscle is GOD.
I only race two ricers at a time, its 'cuz I believe in giving them a fair chance... at finishing last.
Racing is like boxing, if a lightweight challenges a heavyweight, you know that the lightweight will be fast, but in the end the heavyweight will knock the shit out of the lightweight.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2004, 08:15 PM
BadAzz240's Avatar
BadAzz240 BadAzz240 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 292
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to BadAzz240
Re: Make third gen. w/ ground effects run cooler!!!

If it works it works....Plus it lighter too...lol......Personally I wouldnt drill holes in my front end, but thats me. Post some pics if you get a chance. Hey if you wanna run cooler. Next time you drain your system and refill it poor a bottle of Redline Water Wetter in with it. It does work trust me. Keeps your engin 15-20 degrees cooler. Pluse you could put a 160 thermo. in...
__________________
Just for the Stroke of it...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 PM
xlwhellraiser xlwhellraiser is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to xlwhellraiser
Re: Make third gen. w/ ground effects run cooler!!!

Hey badazz240, I thought about doing it, but I tought that it would never work. Thanks.
Also, I spraypainted my bumper black and than put laquer on it and it looks like its made out of metal, its pretty cool. However, It was soo many holes to drill so some of my lines are not totally straigh, still it would look very cool if I had little bit more patience, but its fine as it is. It looks more aggressive too.
I will post some pics as soon as I get my camera.
Good luck to ya.
__________________
Ford Mustang -- Rice intimidator
Camaro -- Rice killer
Firebird -- Priceless

If Ricers are Fast and Furious, than Muscle is GOD.
I only race two ricers at a time, its 'cuz I believe in giving them a fair chance... at finishing last.
Racing is like boxing, if a lightweight challenges a heavyweight, you know that the lightweight will be fast, but in the end the heavyweight will knock the shit out of the lightweight.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts