-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2001, 12:56 PM
xterrabull xterrabull is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ARB's first victim...

I was cruising the other day on a slightly windy road in the coastal foothills when out of nowhere two birds (I believe they were doves) come popping out of the tall grass doing some ritualistic mating dance thing. One would pop up 6' in the air then the other would follow & the whole process would repeat.
Anyways, they made it onto the road in front of me & one bird popped up clear of my bumper but the 2nd bird was a little slower & --poof-- a cloud of feathers. I think I just clipped it with the tube steel & maybe it survived but there sure were a lot of feathers.
Sheesh, imagine the damage if I still had the stock bumper???
Anyone else have Nature-Meets-ARB stories?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2001, 01:02 PM
unite@af's Avatar
unite@af unite@af is offline
Old Mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to unite@af
I dont but Enzo is known to take out whole families of rodents at a time...
__________________
SUBARU" is a Japanese word meaning "unite," as well as a term identifying a cluster of six stars which the Greeks called the Pleiades
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2001, 01:19 PM
DVSNCYNIKL's Avatar
DVSNCYNIKL DVSNCYNIKL is offline
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,253
Thanks: 10
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I took out a racoon once! Not very pleasant cleaning afterwards.
__________________
Why do banks charge you a "non-sufficient funds fee" on money they already know you don't have?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2001, 02:42 PM
Chainsaw Chainsaw is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Bull Bar Robin!


Driving down I-5 on the way to Disneyland this year I pegged a Robin with the driver's side corner of the ARB at about 68 mph. Plume of feathers and the body cleared the median and almost made it into the oncoming traffic. Felt bad and my two boys were giving me heck from the backseat. "No, it's not dead....he's just sleeping!"
__________________
01 Solar Yellow SE 4X4
PNWX Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2001, 03:23 PM
Schludwiller's Avatar
Schludwiller Schludwiller is offline
XTerra Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, what's with the birds?

Must be the new spring chicks just learning to fly. I've almost hit quite a few zig zagging all over the place.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2001, 03:42 PM
nadokid nadokid is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to nadokid
Here's one for ya. Driving across "Middle of Nowhere" Eastern Washington, and a pheasant decides to fly across the road right at windshield height. I'm going about 60 mph in my old Toyota truck, hit the pheasant right at the top of the windshield. He bounced and went over the truck. If I was going a little slower he would have landed in the bed of the pickup. No damage to the truck, quite a bit of damage to the bird.
__________________
2000 CrewCab (almost an X)
Solar Yellow, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Antitree_hugger's Avatar
Antitree_hugger Antitree_hugger is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Antitree_hugger Send a message via Yahoo to Antitree_hugger
Quote:
Originally posted by nadokid
Here's one for ya. Driving across "Middle of Nowhere" Eastern Washington, and a pheasant decides to fly across the road right at windshield height. I'm going about 60 mph in my old Toyota truck, hit the pheasant right at the top of the windshield. He bounced and went over the truck. If I was going a little slower he would have landed in the bed of the pickup. No damage to the truck, quite a bit of damage to the bird.
Hey I live in "Middle of Nowhere" Eastern Washington ;-)

While riding with my uncle a few years back he took a pheasant hit just below his knee at 90 MPH. Cracked the bone, but he managed to keep the bike up. Took forever to clean it (the pheasant) off my windshield. Scared the crap out of me I thought it was meat from his leg that was sprayed all over me and my bike (Goldwing).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2001, 05:56 PM
Chainsaw Chainsaw is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Antitree_hugger


Hey I live in "Middle of Nowhere" Eastern Washington ;-)

While riding with my uncle a few years back he took a pheasant hit just below his knee at 90 MPH. Cracked the bone, but he managed to keep the bike up. Took forever to clean it (the pheasant) off my windshield. Scared the crap out of me I thought it was meat from his leg that was sprayed all over me and my bike (Goldwing).
So how well did the ARB fit on the Goldwing?

(Sorry....long day at work....):flash:
__________________
01 Solar Yellow SE 4X4
PNWX Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2001, 06:16 PM
Antitree_hugger's Avatar
Antitree_hugger Antitree_hugger is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Antitree_hugger Send a message via Yahoo to Antitree_hugger
hehehe ARB on the wing.... hhhmmmm......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2001, 07:51 PM
ChuckH's Avatar
ChuckH ChuckH is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 903
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went right over a duck one time in a different truck. He flew out right in front of me and went right under the center of the truck. It sounded like a basketball bouncing underneath and then there was a big cloud of feathers and I'm sure a dead duck body. Ick!

Another time in one of my cars, I hit a pigeon on the front bumper at about 65 MPH and it bounced up and then hit the base of the windshield and attached to the wiper arm. Took a few miles before he let loose and slid up and over the window. No blood, but it was a dirty bird for sure and left a big dirt streak up my winshield. Ick!


Sorry those weren't ARB related. I'm waiting for some dumbass driver to pull out just a little too close!

__________________
ChuckH
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2001, 10:41 PM
VaderX VaderX is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to VaderX
Cool

Well I don't know what the deal is with arb's but the first day I had my approach assasin a pair of hummingbirds flew right in front of me and ate it It was a bit of a downer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2001, 11:18 PM
ToeJam's Avatar
ToeJam ToeJam is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to ToeJam
Two wings vs four legs

I don't know what it is, but I swerve for birds. I'll roll my X trying to avoid any two or four legged creatures, but I guess birds are just too much of a challenge to turn down. Of course the only ones I've ever hit came straight at me. Nothing beats listening to the wife scream at the top of her lungs as the feathers blow over the hood:hehe:
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-17-2001, 06:24 AM
OffroadX OffroadX is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,961
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Reminds me of the pic in the back of Four Wheeler or some other magazine where people show their worst "oops/stuck" pics. There was a picture of a late-model Ford full-size on its roof, and the caption said "that's the last time I try to take out a deer with my truck!"

Brent
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2001, 07:41 AM
Schludwiller's Avatar
Schludwiller Schludwiller is offline
XTerra Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
Reminds me of the pic in the back of Four Wheeler or some other magazine where people show their worst "oops/stuck" pics. There was a picture of a late-model Ford full-size on its roof, and the caption said "that's the last time I try to take out a deer with my truck!"

Brent
Brent you seem to know where all the pics are on the web. Do you remember the one of the guy with a ARB balancing on his trucks nose? the top tube of the ARB pressed against a boulder kept him from tipping over.

Awesome shot, but I can't find it anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-17-2001, 07:44 AM
Schludwiller's Avatar
Schludwiller Schludwiller is offline
XTerra Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Error 404

Ran across this one searching for the photo.

Read the text in the error message: http://trjc.com/NL/1999Oct.pdf
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DW victim victimized by Mechanic??. careless in NY Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8 3 02-26-2006 08:29 PM
Being a victim of crime pays sometimes???? ragt20 COMPLETELY off-topic 2 08-07-2002 05:49 PM
Victim support and car buying? Are they even related?Read this e-mial I just received Sham365 COMPLETELY off-topic 1 01-28-2002 01:16 PM
A tribute to the victims igor@af Politics, Investments & Current Affairs 0 09-16-2001 06:41 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts