-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Dober89 Dober89 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exhaust header leaks

I just finished a little bit of work on my car and sprayed some carb cleaner inside the throttle body to help clean it up and bit. I started it up and it ran a little rough at first like I figured, but I put my hand near the drivers side exhaust header and it feels like every part of it is leaking.

I have no clue what kind of headers they are because they are like 10 years old atleast.

What should I torque these things down to?? They've got the wierdest looking fasteners on them too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
4onFloor's Avatar
4onFloor 4onFloor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i torqued my headers down to 30ft lbs. but it just depends on the header, and how thick the mating flange is. you can try changing your gaskets, but the flange might be warped
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Chevyracincamaro's Avatar
Chevyracincamaro Chevyracincamaro is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Exhaust header leaks

yeah they only get torqued to 25-30 ft-lbs. trying torquing the bolts, starting the engine to let it reach operating temp, then turn it off and torque the bolts again. you might even want to see if you can pull the headers and inspect the gaskets and the flange.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2004, 07:43 PM
TEXAS-HOTROD TEXAS-HOTROD is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Exhaust header leaks

I had a problem w/blowing gaskets on mine too. I laid my chop saw on its side and ran the header flange across the flat side of the blade to take out any high spots. Kind of like a poor man's milling machine. I installed the headers w/o gaskets and used some red high temp silicone.
The bolts have never worked loose and after 4 yrs., have never had any leaks either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Dober89 Dober89 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Exhaust header leaks

I dont really wanna take them off to check the gaskets because im afraid ill just crack something else loose and have another exhaust leak at the collector or somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Chevyracincamaro's Avatar
Chevyracincamaro Chevyracincamaro is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Exhaust header leaks

the easy fix(but certainly not the best way): go buy two tubes of hi temp silicone and start applying where ever you got a leak...
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts