-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:37 PM
lostaggie lostaggie is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
98 2.2 L Voltage

I have a 1998 extended cab with the 2.2 L. Recently I have watched the voltage fluctuate when idling. I figured it was the alternator/voltage regulator going out after 102000 miles. Well sure enough just this week the alternator gave up the ghost. So I replaced it yesterday with a new Napa Gold Alternator. Everything seems good but I am still watching the voltage fluctate when idling. It happens regardless of the air conditioner being on or turn signals. I don't know if I should be concerned about this, could this be the reason the alternator went out in the first place? I would like to think that its just the guages having a little fun after 100,000 miles and not have to go on a electric witch hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2004, 12:21 AM
dwinthrup dwinthrup is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 2.2 L Voltage

get a new batter no matter when you bought it if the alt goes it can take the battery and vise vers and check connections
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2004, 03:07 PM
smokey041369 smokey041369 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 2.2 L Voltage

check all wiring to the starter and from the alt make sure they are tight and don't have any frays in them
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
tbante tbante is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 2.2 L Voltage

Just curious, how much did you pay for that NAPA alternator? Mine went out this week also (also a 98) with 120 thousand miles. It just looked too tight in there so I took it to the dealer to replace. Was it hard to replace?
It might make you feel good if I told you I had to pay $380.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 PM
lostaggie lostaggie is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$170

I tried to get a cheaper one around $100, but no one else in town had them in stock and NAPA only had the most expensive one they sell. So I ended up paying 170 (lifetime warranty) and losing a little skin off the knuckles. As for checking the wiring, I was really hoping someone had a silver bullet fix and not an electric witch hunt. Maybe I will put the lifetime warranty to the test and see if whatever is causing the fluctation will cause another alternator to go bad. But on the other hand if I don't find the cause it may eat the engine control module next...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2004, 07:41 AM
smokey041369 smokey041369 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 2.2 L Voltage

you don't have to rip the harness apart, check the wires where they are exposed for frays
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Isuzupickup Isuzupickup is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Lostaggie

I know your Pain, I am having the VERY EXACT same problem. Today my altenator when I out. I was able to go for about 3 months with the voltage guage acting up. PLEASE post your update. I would like to know what you have done to fix it. I hear a huming noise coming from the engine however I have not been able to indentify where it is coming from.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2004, 09:46 PM
lostaggie lostaggie is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well so far I have replaced the battery, and checked/cleaned the grounds and wires on everything that I can find. I haven't found a solution yet. My next plan of action is to start pulling fuses on non essential items, maybe further isolate the short that way. Other than that I have just been driving it. I will let you know if I find a fix.

P.S. I am thinking of taking it to a priest for an exorcism...
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts