-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Zudnick Zudnick is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is It The Alternator???

Hey,

I have a 1996 Blazer 4.3 and a week or so ago I started to notice a whirring or humming type noise coming from under the hood. The noise seems to match RPMs, but isn't very loud... it is most noticeable when sitting at a light or driving slow -- much faster and engine/road noise drown out the humming.

Now, I have noticed that the Voltmeter is running very low. It's normally right inthe middle of the gauge at about 14 (right ?), and now it's almost down in the red (but not quite).

I'm thinking that it's probably the alternator... what do you think?

If it matters, I haven't really noticed any performance change, and it does still start fine and will run the lights, radio, etc with no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Z
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 AM
mike2004tct's Avatar
mike2004tct mike2004tct is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like the alternator is going bad. You'll know for sure if your gauge doesn't go above the 12V mark at driving speeds and your battery will eventually drain/die.

If it were only a bad/loose belt, you'd notice the difference in the power steering.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2004, 02:00 PM
bobmga62 bobmga62 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Is It The Alternator???

DYES, I AGREE ON ALTERNATOR AS WELL...

before finally loosing mine, I had a signaificant "whirring" fearing noise before the alternator departed..

What was worse I was towing my race car about 800 miles home... I hwas hopping it would make it... whicih it did.. then died about two days later...Luck was on my side, for a change...

R
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts