-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-21-2004, 04:04 PM
SMOKEY818 SMOKEY818 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Lt 1 Engine ?

I Was Planning To Put A Lt1 Into My 89 Camaro, Is There Different Types Of Lt1 , Do They Change In Any Years. If So Which Year Should I Get.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 PM
96CamaroSS's Avatar
96CamaroSS 96CamaroSS is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 272
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

93 is the only real different year it doesn't have a MAF sensor. Other than that the the engines are all the same. I think 93 has a ob1 computer. 94-97 have the obII.




Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY818
I Was Planning To Put A Lt1 Into My 89 Camaro, Is There Different Types Of Lt1 , Do They Change In Any Years. If So Which Year Should I Get.
__________________
- - - - - - -
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2004, 06:48 PM
5 Point 7's Avatar
5 Point 7 5 Point 7 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought 95 was OBD II, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 PM
SMOKEY818 SMOKEY818 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

Which One Is The One I Should Get,i Heard That One Of Those Obd Ii Or The Other Is A Pain In The Ass To Get The Trouble Codes Or Something Like That?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Dober89 Dober89 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

Your most likely better off with a newer one. Sometimes it takes a couple years to get all the bugs worked out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Chevyracincamaro's Avatar
Chevyracincamaro Chevyracincamaro is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

OBD II started in 97...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 AM
ridge_runner ridge_runner is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ridge_runner Send a message via MSN to ridge_runner
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

if you got the extra cash try getting a wrecked 98 or newer camaro... and do an ls1 swap... i think im gonna start saving soon to do that in my 84
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Chevyracincamaro's Avatar
Chevyracincamaro Chevyracincamaro is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

word. hey ridge, while youre at it can you save a little extra an do my car...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
ridge_runner ridge_runner is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ridge_runner Send a message via MSN to ridge_runner
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

yea i can save ya a few bucks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Deadcarny Deadcarny is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1993- Speed Density OBD I
1994- MAF OBD I
1995- MAF OBD I, Vented Opti, CA cars had dual cats (still OBD I)
1996- MAF OBD II, More sensors, NO MORE HARDENED PUSH RODS
1997=1996

Tuning software is cheaper and easier on the OBD I cars. There are some extra things that sometimes get in the way of new mods on OBD II. Some people actually pick up 10hp converting from OBD II to OBD I because some of the computer controls are not in the OBD I that affect the OBD II cars. I am not familiar with OBD II tuning, so I cannot tell you exactly what the differences are.
__________________
1995 Camaro Z28, 383ci 485+hp 495ft-lbs SOLD!!!
1965 Ford F100
1967 Chevrolet Impala (Sold)
1972 Chevrolet Chevelle (Sold)
1972 BMW R60/5 (Sold)
1980 Harley Davidson FLH
1987 Harley Davidson XLH
1992 Astro EXT AWD
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car 1087/3222 (Sold)
2001 Pontiac Sunfire
2002 Trailblazer LTZ (Sold)
South Carolina F and Y Bodies
www.SCFYB.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2004, 09:02 PM
brandboZ28 brandboZ28 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to brandboZ28
93's are the fastest

93's take to fuel mods a little better due to the speed density but its not really enough to make that big of a difference. The main difference is the electronics/CPU of the different year engines.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Dober89 Dober89 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

I thought speed density was less forgiving to performance mods and needed to be recalibrated when you do a bunch of mods. To me it seems like 1995 would be the best because it has the hardened pushrods and the vented opti spark.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Deadcarny Deadcarny is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

1995 Is generally considered the best year to get. I know when I was shopping for mine I would only get a 1995.
__________________
1995 Camaro Z28, 383ci 485+hp 495ft-lbs SOLD!!!
1965 Ford F100
1967 Chevrolet Impala (Sold)
1972 Chevrolet Chevelle (Sold)
1972 BMW R60/5 (Sold)
1980 Harley Davidson FLH
1987 Harley Davidson XLH
1992 Astro EXT AWD
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car 1087/3222 (Sold)
2001 Pontiac Sunfire
2002 Trailblazer LTZ (Sold)
South Carolina F and Y Bodies
www.SCFYB.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
89IROC&RS's Avatar
89IROC&RS 89IROC&RS is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

well, the key thing to me with the LT1 is the opticrap ignition, there is a second design, i think its listed as the vented optispark, those tend to go bad less often, the first design was pure shit. just my two cents.
__________________


Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68052
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-26-2004, 12:48 AM
4onFloor's Avatar
4onFloor 4onFloor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Lt 1 Engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dober89
I thought speed density was less forgiving to performance mods and needed to be recalibrated when you do a bunch of mods. To me it seems like 1995 would be the best because it has the hardened pushrods and the vented opti spark.
i'd go with speed density for the fact that it's cheaper to replace a MAP sensor than a MAF sensor.

is it possible to bolt L98 heads to an LT1 and use the intake, dist, and fuel system?
__________________
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts