-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-17-2001, 10:29 PM
cdnav8tr cdnav8tr is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to add front and rear air lockers to my X...anybody been through this yet?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2001, 10:45 PM
Antitree_hugger's Avatar
Antitree_hugger Antitree_hugger is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Antitree_hugger Send a message via Yahoo to Antitree_hugger
There are a couple of people who have, and as far as I know you can only put it in the rear. Mosi and Toyman both have them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2001, 04:16 AM
warmonger's Avatar
warmonger warmonger is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
I just finished my On-Board Air project complete with a rear air locker. It was actually easier than I had thought it would be. So far my air locker seems to work good. Since I originally had a limited slip, it does handle differently. The tires spin quicker with it off thanks to the open differential. But instead of getting real squirelly like it used to, it just spins. I will be putting the air locker to the test shortly and when I do I will let you guys know how I like it.
__________________
Gordon "The Warmonger" White
2000 Silver Ice X

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2001, 02:09 AM
warmonger's Avatar
warmonger warmonger is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
I put my rear air locker to a little test this weekend and so far it ROCKS. My on-board air system has so much air available, that I run my compressor long enough to pump it up to 125 psi and then shut it off. I can cycle my air locker numerous times before I even have to think about turning the compressor back on again.

The compressor I use is one similar to the Extreme Air compressor that was reviewed in 4 Wheel & Off Road last month in their compressor shoot out. It fills the 2.5 gallon tank to 125 psi in about two minutes or so. I still have a vibration issue to work out, but I should be able to nail that down this week.

The air locker is unbelievable compared to the Nissan LSD. It has actually caused a new problem I will have to solve and that is wheel hop. I am hoping when I lift my truck and put new rear springs in, that they will be double-wrapped eyelet type springs and the problem will be cured by that. If not, I will have to custom-build some traction bars to eliminate the axle wrap that is causing the hop.
__________________
Gordon "The Warmonger" White
2000 Silver Ice X

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2001, 01:40 PM
Mosi Mosi is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ease off on the throttle when locked up... it takes a bit to get used to. It is pretty sweet having a locker!!!!


__________________
Former 2000 Xterra 4x4 SE owner
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2001, 01:41 PM
cdnav8tr cdnav8tr is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front locker now available

Hey guys,
I just got off the phone with ARB and they told me about a shop in Florida that is putting front air lockers in Xterras. I am going to phone today and see what it is all about
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2001, 01:46 PM
Philosopher's Avatar
Philosopher Philosopher is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Front locker now available

Quote:
Originally posted by cdnav8tr
Hey guys,
I just got off the phone with ARB and they told me about a shop in Florida that is putting front air lockers in Xterras. I am going to phone today and see what it is all about
Yeah, that would be www.4x4parts.com. Ask if ARB will still warranty the locker after they modify it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-10-2001, 01:10 PM
packman packman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
I put my rear air locker to a little test this weekend and so far it ROCKS. My on-board air system has so much air available, that I run my compressor long enough to pump it up to 125 psi and then shut it off. I can cycle my air locker numerous times before I even have to think about turning the compressor back on again.

The compressor I use is one similar to the Extreme Air compressor that was reviewed in 4 Wheel & Off Road last month in their compressor shoot out. It fills the 2.5 gallon tank to 125 psi in about two minutes or so. I still have a vibration issue to work out, but I should be able to nail that down this week.

The air locker is unbelievable compared to the Nissan LSD. It has actually caused a new problem I will have to solve and that is wheel hop. I am hoping when I lift my truck and put new rear springs in, that they will be double-wrapped eyelet type springs and the problem will be cured by that. If not, I will have to custom-build some traction bars to eliminate the axle wrap that is causing the hop.
Is that the same compressor that 4X4 Connection has for $399.00?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts