-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2004, 11:52 PM
ponderoy ponderoy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange clicking noise from behind the dash!

1998 GTP just started making a strange click noise behind the dash. It evens makes the noise when the car is at a dead stop. When I turn the car off it stops and when turn the ignition switch in the on position it come back. I have no idea why it is doing this. Any little help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ponderoy; 06-25-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2004, 03:32 AM
Micro1 Micro1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear the samething from my Grand Prix also. I have a 98 GTP.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 AM
GTX Playa's Avatar
GTX Playa GTX Playa is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to GTX Playa
Re: Strange clicking noise from behind the dash!

Do either of you have your DRL disabled? A clicking sound often accompanies the repeated attempts for the headlights to activate.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2004, 01:24 PM
s_jo4 s_jo4 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Strange clicking noise from behind the dash!

could also be something in air vent or just your fans pushing air through
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 PM
ponderoy ponderoy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I don't have my DRL disable or disconnected. And I am sure it is not vent noise. This is a loud clicking noise. I know the difference from trash blowing into the vent. I have my radio off, air is off and vent is off and car is not moving and key in the on position.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
poppeman poppeman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RE: Clicking behind the dash

Did anyone ever figure out the clicking noise behind the dash? My car seems to be doing it as well. I can have everything off except the ignition and i still hear the clickling/knocking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2004, 11:37 AM
carnutcass's Avatar
carnutcass carnutcass is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if we're talking about the same clicking sound but mine does this also. Mine only does it at 74mph or when I drive over really rough pavement.

My conclusion is that there is a problem with the BCM (Body Control Module) mounted next to the parking brake assembly. I'm waiting for the mechanic's strike to end so that I can take it to the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2004, 05:23 PM
stlwagon stlwagon is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Strange clicking noise from behind the dash!

My 99 GTP does the same thing (it's a squeaky clicking sound coming from passenger side dash). Almost sounds vacuum-related. Usually does it when I first turn the key but disappears shortly thereafter. It's annoying, but doesn't appear to cause any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2004, 05:29 PM
ru35angel's Avatar
ru35angel ru35angel is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive also heard a similar noise.... Sounds like a short hiss then click and then repeats.....I notice it more obviously when the car is parked but I only hear it when th car is on.... The noise I hear is not a steady noise but it is consistant and frequent.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts