-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2004, 11:09 AM
mlyles mlyles is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sienna Brakes

Has anyone found a solution to the rear brake squeal that seems to happen on alot of siennas.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2004, 01:08 PM
TPPT2 TPPT2 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we have a 2002 Sienna XLE with the squealing breaks. We have taken it to the dealer several times. They say that its "normal for Siennas" and that the only way to fix it is $900 for new breaks! Not exactly Toyota standards, although nothing is [wrong] with the breaks and we havent had any other porblem whatsoever with the car. ITs been a great car besides the breaks (which, like i said, arent even broken, just annoying). Maybe the 04 Siennas are fixed?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Erndog1369 Erndog1369 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, here's the whole low down on the rear brake squeal. Toyota first came out with thicker backing plates for the rear brakes. This KIND OF fixed the problem, but not totally. I'm a Toyota mechanic and I have seem hundreds and hundreds of Sienna's with this. The new fix, per Toyota, is to attach stick on wheel weights to the back side of the backing plates. It might seem strange, but it works. I've NEVER seen one come back after this. Either take it to the dealer and have them do it, or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll give some directions to do it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Erndog1369 Erndog1369 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alrighty.... here's the newest news on this. There are new brake drums available, and they will fix your squeak. They are available only at Toyota dealers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
RMCCAW RMCCAW is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sienna Brakes

I have a 2000 sienna that has more of a groan than a squeak when applying the brakes (Stops when you really stand down hard on the pedal )friends 2000 Sienna does the same - they still have original front and rear brakes, I have changed front pads with Toyota parts.Made no diference still had noise. Will just replacing the new drums make groan go away or do you have to do backing plate as well? I don't suppose they are warrantying these? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 AM
rubyh20 rubyh20 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Sienna Brakes

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy.....

If the Sienna is built on the Camry frame, engine, transmission, blah, blah, blah; does it have Camry brakes????
If so, the Sienna out weights the Camry by about 640lbs, you would think Toyota would add larger rotors / pads.
Maybe this is why the brakes are so mushy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2004, 10:17 AM
rparamo rparamo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes

My wife's 98 Sienna's brakes only squeal when you're coming to a stop and only the left rear tire? Is this normal?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
balogh balogh is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sienna Brakes

[quote=Erndog1369]OK, here's the whole low down on the rear brake squeal. Toyota first came out with thicker backing plates for the rear brakes. This KIND OF fixed the problem, but not totally. I'm a Toyota mechanic and I have seem hundreds and hundreds of Sienna's with this. The new fix, per Toyota, is to attach stick on wheel weights to the back side of the backing plates. It might seem strange, but it works. I've NEVER seen one come back after this. Either take it to the dealer and have them do it, or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll give some directions to do it yourself.[/QUOTE
where do you stick the wheel weights on the backing plate and how much.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2004, 11:33 AM
tfret tfret is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sienna Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erndog1369
OK, here's the whole low down on the rear brake squeal. Toyota first came out with thicker backing plates for the rear brakes. This KIND OF fixed the problem, but not totally. I'm a Toyota mechanic and I have seem hundreds and hundreds of Sienna's with this. The new fix, per Toyota, is to attach stick on wheel weights to the back side of the backing plates. It might seem strange, but it works. I've NEVER seen one come back after this. Either take it to the dealer and have them do it, or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll give some directions to do it yourself.

I have a 98 Sienna, and yes the brakes squeal a lot, and yes the dealer says "There is nothing wrong, everything is fine, now give me $30 dollars". Is there anything I can do, short of buying the new brake drums you mentioned, that will fix the squeal on my 98 model. I don't mind doing the work myself.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM
jimmie98 jimmie98 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sienna Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erndog1369
OK, here's the whole low down on the rear brake squeal. Toyota first came out with thicker backing plates for the rear brakes. This KIND OF fixed the problem, but not totally. I'm a Toyota mechanic and I have seem hundreds and hundreds of Sienna's with this. The new fix, per Toyota, is to attach stick on wheel weights to the back side of the backing plates. It might seem strange, but it works. I've NEVER seen one come back after this. Either take it to the dealer and have them do it, or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll give some directions to do it yourself.

Hey Erndog, could you explain this fix to me in more detail? Are you talking about stick-on weights to affix to the brake drum backing plates? How could this cure a squeak? I have a 2000 XLE with nearly new brakes that squeak incessantly, especially at low speeds. When I'm leaving the parking garage, the whole world hears me coming. It's a shame because it's such a great car otherwise! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 PM
edmole edmole is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sienna Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erndog1369
OK, here's the whole low down on the rear brake squeal. Toyota first came out with thicker backing plates for the rear brakes. This KIND OF fixed the problem, but not totally. I'm a Toyota mechanic and I have seem hundreds and hundreds of Sienna's with this. The new fix, per Toyota, is to attach stick on wheel weights to the back side of the backing plates. It might seem strange, but it works. I've NEVER seen one come back after this. Either take it to the dealer and have them do it, or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll give some directions to do it yourself.

Hey Erndog, could you explain this fix to me in more detail? Are you talking about stick-on weights to affix to the brake drum backing plates? How could this cure a squeak? How can I do this myself? I have a 2000 XLE with nearly new brakes that squeak incessantly, especially at low speeds. When I'm leaving the parking garage, the whole world hears me coming. It's a shame because it's such a great car otherwise! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts