-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-04-2004, 08:17 PM
jonh453 jonh453 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Oil Pressure Light

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 with 39,700 miles on it. My Oil Pressure gauge keeps flikering when I stop my car at a stop light. I put more oil in it to fill it up. But that still didnt work, anyone have any suggestions before I have to bring it in to Saturn and get ripped off?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2004, 01:33 PM
sickcallawayc12's Avatar
sickcallawayc12 sickcallawayc12 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Oil Pressure Light

How much oil did you put in? The oil light is supposed to flicker as you come to a stop (does on mine anyway). I think when the light comes on there is almost no oil in the car at all. The last time my light came on I checked the dipstick and it sizzled when I pulled it out (time for an oil change anyway). About 3500 miles before, the light kept flickering on, even after I put a quart of motor oil in my car. Took it to an oil change shop and they said the car needed another 4 quarts or something like that, but i'm assuming oil changes and stuff like that are covered under warranty since you only have 40k, but if they charge you, it shouldn't be more than 35-40 bucks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
jonh453 jonh453 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it first started happening I checked the oil and it was pretty much completly dry. So I went out and bought 2 quarts, put those in, realized it still wasnt enough. So I bought another one and it finally filled up. The flikering doesnt seem to come on as much anymore. But if I drive the car for a while then the light will start to fliker as I come to a stop, and you said thats normal? I just want to make sure before I go to Saturn they want $90 just to diagnose the problem. THe other thing is my car doesnt heat up, and I know thats good.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2004, 08:21 PM
sickcallawayc12's Avatar
sickcallawayc12 sickcallawayc12 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Oil Pressure Light

My saturn oil light flickered as I was coming to a stop and then stayed lit for about two seconds and then went off. It only came on when I was stopping and not driving. When I put oil in, it never came on again (until I needed more oil) so I assume that the flickering when stopping is normal. One thing that i'm questioning is if there is a problem with the oil light or anything related to the oil your service engine soon light would come on so if it isn't, maybe the car burns a lot of oil. Many Saturns (and GM cars and trucks for that matter) burn a lot of oil. How long did you drive for before the light came on again? I don't know what would cause the engine to burn a lot of oil; I heard the piston rings on saturns cause large oil consumption, but i'm not that car savvy. And I wouldn't take the car to saturn if they want to charge you $90 for a simple diagnostic; a good car shop in your area (i.e. one you trust) would probably look at it for free and tell you if there is a problem. Hope this helps some.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-2004, 10:33 PM
KatWoman KatWoman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,366
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Light

Your oil light should never come on unless you are low or have lost pressure.

I would make sure there are no leaks and make sure the drain plug and oil filter are on securely. If that's not the problem, you might wanna get the oil pressure sensor checked.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Lucas1 Lucas1 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is an oil pressure light, not an oil level light. If that light comes on you have NO OIL PRESSURE. You WILL damage the engine if you continue to drive it and saturn will not warranty it. Saturns do burn oil, but if you change your oil every 3,000 miles like your suspossed to it shouldnt matter. There is also the possibility of an electrical problem or a faulty oil pressure switch, although less likely than you just not changing your oil.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts