-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-30-2004, 02:35 PM
fdomako fdomako is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Underpowered 98 L-D F250

I purchased a used 1998 F250 Light Duity pick up to haul my 30' travel trailer. I live in Michigan but the truck has Calif emissions pkg. It does OK on a flat road but lacks power to keep speed going up even small hills. My trailer weighs about 5000 lbs and I'm thinking the truck should be able to handle it. How can I maximize torq & hp without dumping a lot of money into it? I only pull my tlr 6~7 times per year and can't justify expensive accessories/changes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:43 PM
ModMech's Avatar
ModMech ModMech is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Underpowered 98 L-D F250

Does it have the Class V towing package? I'd bet not, since our 4.6L auto equipped F-150 SC with that package did just fine even with over 7500# in tow. Great, no way. Fine, definately!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2004, 11:47 PM
97chevyman's Avatar
97chevyman 97chevyman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Underpowered 98 L-D F250

What motor do you have? Some things would be dual exhaust with an x-pipe, cold air intake, and a chip.
__________________
2000 ford F-250 4x4 CC auto
1978 F150 4x4, 6 inch lift painted john deere green
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
fdomako fdomako is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Underpowered 98 L-D F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMech
Does it have the Class V towing package? I'd bet not, since our 4.6L auto equipped F-150 SC with that package did just fine even with over 7500# in tow. Great, no way. Fine, definately!
- It came with a class V hitch and an under-dash tralier brake wiring harness. It has a 5.4 engine with 108,000 miles.
My engine light came on last summer and I had to replace all the plugs and 2 bad coils. A couple of months ago it came on again and I had to replaced both upstream O2 sensors. I'm wondering if something is wrong with some other aspect of the engine/emissions control features.
- My dad has the (non-calif) 1997 version of the same truck and he says that his tows just fine. He can even pull his 28 ft 5th wheel in overdrive. I have to run mine in 3rd gear and keep engine at 3000 RPM.
- I've spoke with on other person who owned the 1998 and he was pretty dissappointed with his as well. I'm wondering if the 1998's had a bad design or faulty component.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
fdomako fdomako is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Underpowered 98 L-D F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97chevyman
What motor do you have? Some things would be dual exhaust with an x-pipe, cold air intake, and a chip.
I have a 5.4. I was thinking of doing something along those lines but I don't want to put all that money into it just to get marginal performance improvements.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > F Series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts