Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
jheri
AF Newbie

Cool Transmission problem

Started when I was pulling out. The anti lock brake light came on and it shifted into 2nd but wouldn't shift into drive and overdrive.
jheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
gridironstars
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission problem

Hey -

I have the same damn problem. Have you gotten any word on the problem and/or fix?

Frustrated in Rhode Island,
Thanks.

Here are my symptoms...

All symptoms were sporadic up until Tuesday (4/29).
No changes to car since purchased, couple months ago
No known history of problems

Start car
"Service engine soon" light comes on - this started on Tuesday
ABS light comes on - this has been sporadic for few weeks

Begin to drive
Speedometer stays at 0
Once truck gets to 3500-4000 RPM kicks down to 2000
At unexpected, i.e. non-predictable, time speedometer kicks in
Speedometer will jump 10-20 mph sporadically (not often)
Once speedometer kicks in ABS light goes away

Continue to drive
RPMs continue to rise to 4000. I have not driven it past this point
Can drive up to 45 mph at this RPM.

Slow down (under 5mph) / Stop
Brakes feel like ABS try to kick when inapproriate (not too often)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheri
Started when I was pulling out. The anti lock brake light came on and it shifted into 2nd but wouldn't shift into drive and overdrive.

Last edited by gridironstars; 04-29-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more information provided
gridironstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

If both of these vehicles are 93 and newer, obviously automatic trannies, I would strongly suspect the ignition switch(electrical piece). On some vehicles the SES light should come on due to no power going to tranny and with an electronic shifting tranny nothing works without power. On some vehicles with tilt steering you may find that the tilting back and forth may have severed a wire inside the insulation
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
littlejon3
AF Newbie

I am having a very similar problem on my 1998 GMC Jimmy that started when I went through a large puddle of water in the road. Now my SES light comes on when I start it up, the ABS brake light comes on when I start driviing, it wont shift out of 2nd gear, and the speedometer and trip meter is not working at all. I was wondering about any sensors that could have gotten wet when I went into the puddle/small lake I have had a fan blowing from the top of the engine and the bottom seeing if trying to dry it out would help with no such luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
littlejon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

littlejon, check the round electrical connector on the side of the tranny to see if its connected good. Check the trans fuse for 12v with the ignition on
Old 05-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
littlejon3
AF Newbie

I took it to Autozone for their little free diagnostic and it came back with a VSS problem, so I put a new Vehicle Speed Sensor in today, and the Service Engine Soon light is no longer coming on, but all of the other symptoms remain the same. Where is the trans fuse? I have checked all of the fuses right inside the door and in the Fuse Relay Center under the hood and have found no blown fuses, and can't identify which one is the transmission fuse.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 AM   #7
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

The trans fuse is fuse #20(10 amp) on fullsize in the panel inside the vehicle. Need to check it for 12V, the power may not be getting to the fuse
Old 05-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
GMMerlin
I know stuff

There have been some issues with faulty ignition switches on 96 and newer S-T trucks.
The switch will not power up part of the fuse box and cause loss of transmission control and usually a 2nd or 3rd gear start with no shifts.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
littlejon3
AF Newbie

I check fuse #20 inside the driver door and I do not show one on my fuse panel, and there is not one in that slot.....perhaps another one? I took it into a shop today that told me their computer said it was the "Torque Converter Lockup Clutch" that was the issue and that I needed to get a new transmission. For some reason I am a little skeptical of this, and then the transmisison guy I talked to said the symptoms sounded more like something electrical like a short or something and not something transmission related......Anyone have any other suggestions other than a faulty ignition switch, which I will definitely pass on to the "electrical mechanic" of the area that everyone keeps pointing me to saying he could find any electrical problem if it was that.....
Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 AM   #10
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

Little jon, give this post to your electrical guy:
Need 1 12vdc 30/40 amp relay
all work done under the dash. Bare a spot on one of the red wires(12v constant) and bare a spot on the pink, all wires are part of the ignition switch harness, cut the white wire in two. For the relay post 86 goes to ground, post 85 gets connected to the bared pink wire, post 30 gets connected to the cut white wire running away from the ignition switch, post 87a(if its not on relay just tape up the white wire on the switch side of the cut)to the white wire ignition side, and post 87 gets connected to a 10 amp fuse and then to the bared red wire
If this makes it work, it was your switch and until something else goes wrong with it it won't need replacing. You don't need a new tranny yet
Old 05-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #11
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy-WI
Little jon, give this post to your electrical guy:
Need 1 12vdc 30/40 amp relay
all work done under the dash. Bare a spot on one of the red wires(12v constant) and bare a spot on the pink, all wires are part of the ignition switch harness, cut the white wire in two. For the relay post 86 goes to ground, post 85 gets connected to the bared pink wire, post 30 gets connected to the cut white wire running away from the ignition switch, post 87a(if its not on relay just tape up the white wire on the switch side of the cut)to the white wire ignition side, and post 87 gets connected to a 10 amp fuse and then to the bared red wire
If this makes it work, it was your switch and until something else goes wrong with it it won't need replacing. You don't need a new tranny yet
With all the trouble to wire up a relay, you could replace the ignition switch in just about the same amount of time.
Although I would say that is a very creative repair
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #12
troynall
AF Newbie

where is the ignition switch thingy ?
troynall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:20 AM   #13
newman44
AF Newbie

Hi

I am having similar problems with the transmission on my 1995 Jimmy.
Check engine light came on about a month ago and tranny stayed in 3rd gear. 5 min later and all back to normal. Happened a couple of times and then just stayed in 3rd with engine lite on. Took to a transmission shop and they said no power to solinoids. Chaged wiring harness, changed ignition switch,installed new computer and still the same. No power but also no feedback error codes when solinoids disconnected?? The computer was from a junkyard and he thinks it might have been faulty? Trying to borrow a matching one from another Jimmy to try. The shop is good and he is not charging me for parts that are not the problem.

Does anyboby have any ideas??? Could it be the computer??

Thankyou so much
newman44
newman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
gridironstars
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Transmission problem

Newman -

Took mine to the shop. It came back with a VSS problem, so the shop put a new Vehicle Speed Sensor, and the Service Engine Soon light is no longer coming on, and all of the other symptoms are fixed.

It's fixed but it was pricey since they way overcharged (IMO) for labor (3.5 hours).

Good luck,
Gridiron Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman44
Hi

I am having similar problems with the transmission on my 1995 Jimmy.
Check engine light came on about a month ago and tranny stayed in 3rd gear. 5 min later and all back to normal. Happened a couple of times and then just stayed in 3rd with engine lite on. Took to a transmission shop and they said no power to solinoids. Chaged wiring harness, changed ignition switch,installed new computer and still the same. No power but also no feedback error codes when solinoids disconnected?? The computer was from a junkyard and he thinks it might have been faulty? Trying to borrow a matching one from another Jimmy to try. The shop is good and he is not charging me for parts that are not the problem.

Does anyboby have any ideas??? Could it be the computer??

Thankyou so much
newman44
gridironstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 PM   #15
drdestructo_8
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to drdestructo_8 Send a message via Yahoo to drdestructo_8

I have one for you I have a 98 and the tranny started slipping so I checked the tranny fluid it was low so I filled it back up now when driving it spews out tranny fluid though the breather hoses on top and bottom of the engine, it wouldnt be such a prob but the top breather hose is right above the manifold and has caght on fire twice thank god for a bottle of aquafina or my toy would be up in smoke. can anyone give me some idea on how to remedy this.
drdestructo_8 is offline   Reply With Quote