-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
wpatters1229 wpatters1229 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Van B350 15 person van has computer problem???

I have a B350 MaxiVan (Van Pool) that has started not shifting into overdrive and the speedometer is dead. When the speedometer isn't moving the van will not shift into over drive. Every so often for no apparent reason the speedometer starts working and then it will also shift into over drive. The check engine light also comes on when all this happens. I just went through all the electrical connectors to the computer and everything else I could get my hands on and nothing has changed. Everything else works great. Anyone have any thing I can check before I take it to a repair shop and start spending big bucks?

Almost forgot. Will it hurt to run it without it being able to shift into overdrive? I'm most concerned on the freeway when you have to go 75 MPH to stay with traffic. I don't want to blow up the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2004, 04:26 PM
BleedDodge's Avatar
BleedDodge BleedDodge is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: Van B350 15 person van has computer problem???

It won't hurt it at all. Vans never used to have overdrive.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
wpatters1229 wpatters1229 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Van B350 15 person van has computer problem???

Thanks....It just sounds so loud with the fan and all running at a higher rate. Just wish I knew what caused the problem. I hate to replace the computer $500 and find that it didn't fix it.
When the check engine light comes on doesn't it record an error code that can be retrieved? Do you have to take it to a shop to get that code or is there a trick to read it with lights or something in the dash? I know my Jeep has something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Ramcamper B-350's Avatar
Ramcamper B-350 Ramcamper B-350 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Ramcamper B-350
Re: Van B350 15 person van has computer problem???

Hi, my 1990 B-350 ( with Overdrive!) had the same problem. Post here if the problem is still happend. May i can help you.
Reiner
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:09 PM
springuel springuel is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have the speedometer problem until my mechanic the speedometer pickup and display unit in the dashboard. The lack of speedometer is why the overdrive does not work.. the ECM needs the speed to shift ot overdrive. If there is nothing wrong with the speedometer pickup and display module look at the ECM.

However a bad ECM will usually have more than one problem and they will be unrelated as your two are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 AM
wpatters1229 wpatters1229 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Van B350 15 person van has computer problem???

What is an ECM? I did take it to a garage and they said the codes showed a speed sensor was bad. I replaced it for $50. It just screws onto the tail shaft of the transmission. But now it has started doing the same thing again but intermittenly....almost like there is a grounding problem or something...then again it could just be that the part has gone bad...that does happen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Ramcamper B-350's Avatar
Ramcamper B-350 Ramcamper B-350 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Ramcamper B-350
Test ist!

From witch year is your van?

ECM is "Electronic-Control-Module" behind the engine under the hood.
The code only tells: there is no signal from speedometer! The reason may be not only the speedometer! May be wires or bad plugs ore shortened wires in this line.

Yes its correct.....without speedometer signal...no overdrive!

Its easy to test at the time when the problem is happend!
Now you know where your speedsensor is placed.
unplug the two wires (or one plug) on it.....start ignition...check the voltage!
one must have 5 Volts, the other zero! You have to place one wire of the multimeter to chassis or ground, the other to one of the two wires.
If thats ok, start the motor and shortcut and open the two wires very fastly with a short wire together.

If you are quickly enough, (5-10 times a second)normaly you will see a result on your speedometer and the engin get a other noise because rpm changed a litte bit.

If you have checked this, answer here.
Reiner
Report Post | IP: Logged
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2004, 08:24 PM
wpatters1229 wpatters1229 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the speed sensor and it seems now to work. I bought a cheap OEM version from Kreagon and it worked for awhile.

I have another problem that started right after my wife filled up a few weeks ago. This is a 1992 B350 with the 360 FI engine.
When it warms up and you are traveling with very minimum acceleration it will "cough" just almost like a backfire through the carb. In fact that pretty much describes it. If you floor it the van takes off like a scared rabbit. I thought it would start failing when I took up a steep hill.....just goes great but if you are going 25mph and ever so slightly start to speed up it will do it's cough. I checked everything but the fuel filter because I have been told it is in the gas tank.
Would a clogged filter do this? I thought it might be water in the tank but I've added some additive that is suppose to clear that up and it still does it's cough.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts