|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| Engineering/ Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works? |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
GM 4T40-E Transmission Torque Limit
I have a 2003 Malibu which uses the GM 4T40-E tranmission. According to GM's site on the transmission, http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower.../apps/4t40.htm
the maximum engine torque that the transmission is rated for is 190lb-ft. Now, the largest engine that the 4T40-E is mated to is the 3.1L, which makes 190lb-ft of torque, and is the engine that is in my Malibu. These are my questions: Is the tranmission truly only reliable up to 190lb-ft or is GM just stating that number since that is the torque rating of the largest engine they will mate it to in production? If the tranny is reliable (as in, at least 100K) at more than that, how much more? Has anyone had any experience with this transmission? The reason I ask is, I would like to do a few performance modifications to the engine but A). the car is still under warranty B). even after the warranty is up, I want to maintain the car's reliability. Ideally, I would like to have the engine making ~200-215HP and ~210-225lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. It currently is stock, rated at 170HP/190lb-ft at the flywheel. What are your thoughts on my plans?
__________________
Car: 2003 Malibu (Base) Modifications: KC Fog lamps, autodimming rearview mirror w/ compass&temperature, window tinting, rear speakers, front speakers, sub, synthetic ATF & aux tranny cooler. Future modications: Dynamat interior, alloy wheels & new tires, intake, exhaust & intake manifold??? |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: GM 4T40-E Transmission Torque Limit
Gearboxes aren't usually fully reliable to that much more than what the engine with most torque fitted with it can deliver. Perhaps it's safe to add about 20% or so before the transmission will start to become unreliable, but car manufacturers are usually quite hard on this, they will probably class many "chipped" cars as unreliable.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: GM 4T40-E Transmission Torque Limit
While nothing is guaranteed, my goals seem reasonable then? If I'm looking at 210-225lb-ft, thats less than 120% of the factory rating, which yields 228lb-ft. Like I said, I know that it is not an exact science, but I was thinking along similar lines when I came up with the numbers I stated early, which are an 11-18% increase in torque and an 18-25% increase in HP. I am not drag racing the vehicle, nor am I street racing it. I'm looking at the power increase for two main areas: Easier drivability and more highway passing power. I do 90% of my driving on the interstate, about half of which is with luggage through the mountains. To me it seems like these increases, along with some changes to the suspension and tires, would put the vehicle in its "sweet spot" for highway driving.
Do these goals make sense and sound feasible? Also, given the nature of the driving, are these goals likely to be reliable with the current tranmission and drivetrain, or am I looking at a trannyswap? Would switching to synthetic transmission fluid be beneficial and are there any other modifications that can be done to protect the transmission that are cheaper than a full replacement?
__________________
Car: 2003 Malibu (Base) Modifications: KC Fog lamps, autodimming rearview mirror w/ compass&temperature, window tinting, rear speakers, front speakers, sub, synthetic ATF & aux tranny cooler. Future modications: Dynamat interior, alloy wheels & new tires, intake, exhaust & intake manifold??? |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Okay, let's keep things simple. You want better driveability and more passing power. Here are my suggestions, with brief explanations:
Although heat is the transmission's number one enemy, poor engine performance is a close second. Keep that engine in tune! As for your power increase, keep it modest, and I don't imagine you'll have any problems. I can't see them actually making a transmission that will give out 1 ft/lb above the motor's stock peak. When you get the ATF, go ahead and switch to a synthetic motor oil too. Amsoil ATF and 0w-30, perhaps? That might give you all the extra performance you're wanting. Remember, start small and go from there.
__________________
"There are no substitutions for revolutions."
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05) |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
The 4T40 is simply a 3T40 with ability to overdrive the 3rd gear.
If you recall, the 3T40 was the stock auto tranny behind the buick 3.3 which made 205? ft so we know the rest of the unit is stout, the only consideration is the od clutch. However, at WOT conditions the tranny will never hit 4th gear so thats not a consideration. Some malibus and cutli were equipped with the 4T60E, if you are REALLY going to increase the gen 3 a large amount of hp, then finding a core and making the proper PCM change is an exercise of how easily you can find your metric sockets. btw - on GM emodel trannies, do not use any devices that alter signals to the solenoids, the PCM is 2 way, it instructs the tranny to behave and then times the answers, if it gets wrong answers it will first try to correct the condition with altered shift timing, and failing that, will retard engine power and enter limp mode. the emodels raise line pressures with engine load, there is no such thing as anything like shift delay at anything other than light throttle (and even then you know from experience that the PCM retards engine output at the moment of shift) |
| ||||||||||||||||||
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|